Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-08-2012, 08:49 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

HELP! i have a killer hawk!

Ok so, I read about these "super cool, get-along-with-everybody" flaco hawks, and thought I just HAD to have one! Now, I can't keep any other fish in my tank because he kills them all! He has killed a powder blue, 6 bangaii, a medium sized anthias, and is now after my new potters angel! This fish has GOT TO GO! We have tried traps, putting food in a net, blinding him at night, even a fishing jig and the thing is just too smart. He sees us come up to the glass and he hides, unless we are feeding. We have SOOO much live rock and coral that netting him is impossible. Anyone know another way other than tearing the tank apart? He only tries to kill new fish, all the fish we had before him (maroon clown, gramma, yellow tang, scooter blenny), he doesn't bother. HELLLPPPP!!!

Old 01-08-2012, 10:36 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank size? Take the rock out and catch him.

Old 01-08-2012, 10:55 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Try making a trap and hope he goes in. I am doing the same tryig to catch my damsel. I am using a square tupper ware container with a slit cut in the lid.

I also have a falco hawk and he is aweseome but is def very agressive to new fish for the first day or so.
Old 01-08-2012, 11:29 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

My lfs suggested a mason jar sunk with a piece(s) of the fishes favorite food 6ish" from a wall and have a net along the wall as well.. When the fish goes to the back of the jar u should be able to run the net to the end of the jar and ideally trap him..GL!!!
Old 01-08-2012, 11:39 PM   #5

It is a 120 gallon, with probably 150 lbs of LR. he is VERY fast, and has lots of hidey holes lol. I tried Tupperware, but he swam out so fast we couldn't et it out in time! How does the jar and net work??? When he goes in you just swoop up the jar with the net?
Old 01-08-2012, 11:42 PM   #6

I would LOVE to take the rock out to catch him, but he is in a FULL, primarily SPS tank, and my boyfriend gets nauseous just at the thought of moving the rock. I have a few pictures of the tank in my profile... You can see the problem :/
Old 01-09-2012, 12:06 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

U need to trap him with a net in the yippee ware mason jar pint glass etc. I like the tupperware cuz u can cut a whole in the lid and make ir a little harder to get out. Just watch it and when he goes in to eat put the net over the opening and pull it out.
Old 01-09-2012, 12:35 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

All u have to do once he's in the jar is pull the net to the end of the jar so he can't get free again. (hints the 2 only being 6ish" away from each other) Then using both hands pull the net and jar up at the same time and once u have both at the surface turn the jar upwards and u should be able to take him back to ur lfs worked on a tang I had causing trouble for me!
Old 01-09-2012, 12:41 AM   #9

Sounds easy enough! I will definitely give it a try. Thanks for your help y'all!
Old 01-09-2012, 01:10 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

As weird as it is....and this is only a thought..but you could place a net over the rock carefully to make sure he's out from under the rock when you do. A net where he can't get through the holes..and then try to catch him with your fish net not the net over the rocks?

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com