HELP I HAVE BEEN STUNG BY A BRISTLE WORM!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Platinum

Aquarium Advice Regular
A couple weeks ago I was rearrange my rocks in my tank when I noticed these fuzzy worms, i did a little research and I found them to be bristle worms, also known as the "fireworm" I now know why :( Anyway these little tiny pimple/wart looking things are popping up all over my hands and itching like CRAZY and they sting and burn, has anyone ever encoutered such a thing, any help would be GREATLY appricated!!!!

Get out the duct tape and pull the bristles out ;)

I have alse read you can use vinegar to dissolve the bristles since they are composed of calcium.

I think the brostle are already dissolved in my skin, i was stung 2 weeks ago but it hurts like a bi***. ill go try vinager right now. any more idea or help is very welcomed!!!!!!!

If it happened 2 weeks ago and your getting a reaction now....either it wasn't the bristles that are ailing you....or some were left under the skin and they have festered and become infected. You might consider seeing a doctor.

yeah, I agree with Reefrunner. I'm no Doctor of Internal medicine. But If the worm is not venomous or poisonous with a bacteria you have the standard cut that got infected. I would use neosporin* or an antibiotic ointment overnight. I would suggest seeing a doctor if at all possible if the ointment doesnt immediately relieve symptoms and soon after start to clear up the infection. If the ointment doesnt budge the wound you need to take oral antibiotics. :-( Infections are nothing to mess with.

Dela

Maybe it has something to do with that girl with the questionable morals you met at the bar the other night? hehehehe

Just kidding... go to the doctor, you might be allergic and need a shot or something. My dad was almost killed the first time he ate shrimp.

Thanks guys, i tried the vinager didnt do anything except make my hands smell bad, i will try neosporin with anti boitic and then if it doesnt work see a octer. thanks again.

I hope your feeling better. A friend of mine Place his hand in the tank and started to get small size pimples after a week in his hand and it start to spread to his arm. He went to the doctors and the doctor told him he had a very bad infection Well he lived but his whole arm was reddish in color for almost two month! Take care!

Happy Holiday!
:)

can you ask your friend what kind of infection the doctor said he had? i want to tell my doctor what my diagnosis is becuase i hihgly doubt he will know anything about saltwater infection LOL thank you.

Sounds like an allergic reaction to the previous sting or unrelated item you came in contact with while having your hands in the tank. The only really dangerous tank infection I know of is Mycobacterium marinum, which is relatively rare and does not have the same symptoms you have to my knowledge. I've come across threads of other people with similar bumbs from being stung by corals, etc. and that it takes up to a month for them to go away. I would just describe to your doctor what happened.

In the future, since you know you are especially sensitive, I would not reach into the tank without gloves on......Coralife makes a good pair that still allow for some dexterity.

I agree with the above. It sounds like an allergic reaction. I actually have scars on my forearms from allergic reactions from touching corals. LPS's in particular have an effect on me. I can die from anaphylactic shock if I get stung by a bee. If you are that sensitive like myself, definately wear gloves.

MantisFreak said:
If you are that sensitive like myself, definately wear gloves.

I am not sensitive as far as alergic reactions at all. I think that damn bristle worm got a piece of me, i just havent had time to go to the doctor, but the little bumps have gone away and the itching stop, now the only thing is where the bumps used to be it hurts like hell when i press it, kind of like an internal bruise that you cant see. I think its from the puss/infection that the bristles left. but im no doctor. anyway ill keep u guys posted on what happens. thanks for all of the advice!

Did you see bristles sticking out of those exact spots? If you were actually stung, it would be no question....they do not leave one or two bristles but rather a whole BUNCH that are impossible to miss. I brushed up against one a few weeks ago, and my finger looked like a toothbrush. :wink: Those bumps are mentioned frequently on the net though...and they are most often caused by reactions to "stuff" in the water or touching corals. Regardless, gloves would keep any such thing from occurring again and protect your tank from contaminants as well.

if you did in fact brush up against a bristle worm, then you could still be feeling the effects of the bristles. I don't know how probable this is, but if the bristles went in and an angle, say nearly parallel to your skin, then they could just be making a very slow progression into your skin and thats why you didn't have any iritation at first. Then the scratching of the area may have hurried their movement beneath the skin and are now under the skin. Many animals have these types of barbed skewers that continually work their way in deeper and deeper.

I would HIGHLY recommend seeing a doctor if these areas continue to be that sore to the touch. (wether it be from bristles or not) if you have some sort of infection under the skin you need to have it corrected SOON.

Back
Top Bottom