Help I think I screwed up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EMS503

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi. I was testing my Saltwater tanks the other night and found my Alkalinity was high, And my Calcium very low. my alk & calcium in my 75 gal. reef was 17.0 & 285 My anenomie tank 30 gal. was 14.3 & 260.
I used the last of my Calcium Chloride a small amt. in the reef and raised my calcium to 300. I know high Alk. drives Calcium down I figure to handle that with water changes ( I have well water so I have to use Osmo prep to raise the Alk. of my RO water. I didn't realize my Alk. went so high. I went to the LFS to get more Calcium Chloride and they didn't have any. The guy at the store suggested I use aragamight to raise the Calcium and to use B-Ionic Calcium buffer system to balance out the tank. I didn't use the B-Ionic yet due to high Alk. as this raises it. But I mixed up the aragamight as per the instructions and added 4 gal. to the reef and 1 gal. to the anenomie tank as a trial. It raised the calcium in the reef 20 ppm
now 320 Alk still high The anenomie tank was just a slight rise. My problem is now my Pink and Green fungi plate looks bleached out, and my Pacific anenomie which was Brown now looks white. both are still healthy but colorless. Nothing else in the tanks appears to be affected.
The only change to the tanks recently was a light stlye change on the Anenomie tank from three Triton bulbs to a 65 watt smart light PC unit 1 month ago. could this be from the aragamight. I did see the posts about the Lime water but didn't feel I had the time to setup a drip system.
Any idea's. Thanks EMS503

It seems obvious to me that one of your additives raises ALK. Whatever it is you need to stop dosing it.

Another thought is that your ALK test kit is too old to accurately measure ALK.

Water changes will definately not hurt and if it causes your ALK to drop then perhaps your test kits are accurate (I honestly believe your tests are fine).

The Osmo prep i use raises the Alk. I stopped using it until I get the alk down and then I will use it if needed. The test kit I used was brand new. In regards to the aragamight I dont know if that caused the (Bleaching for lack of what really happened). I had no problems with this problem when I used the Calcium Chloride.

Calcium chloride will benifit you in this situation, because it will not buffer the alk and if added to the tank quickly it will deplete alk. There is no need to add anything back to your makeup water, the buffers are in the salt, when you buffer the water, you are causing it to become out of balance. Aragamight, is basically a very remineralizer that is balanced. It will not help lower your ALK, since it will add CA and buffers as well, least that's what it says on the package. I would do a waterchange with RO/DI water that has not been buffered with anything but the salt. The sudden changes in your water chemistry, as well as the particulate clooudiness that is inevitable with aragamight, has probably stressed your fungia, or heliofungia whichever it is that you have.

Back
Top Bottom