Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-24-2004, 10:25 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

HELP! Leaky Bulkhead on Oceanic. How do I fix it?

We bumped the drainpipe in the overflow box today while servicing my oceanic reefeady tank and it made the bulkhead leak underneath. A constant drip, drip! How can I make the bulkhead stop leaking quickly. The tank is full with animals and water so draining it and rescrewing the whole thing is not an option. Any quick way to seal a leaky bulkhead??? TIA

Old 07-24-2004, 10:28 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

If you shut off the pumps won't it just drain the overflow box and not the tank? Then you could rescrew/reseal the bulkhead without draining the entire tank....

Old 07-25-2004, 12:02 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

for sure like he said, turn off the pump then just pull the drain assembly from the bulk head all the water will go to hte sump then you can redo it.I suggest using pliers even though they say not to jsut dont get crazy.Are you sure it is hte bulk head and not the drain pipe going into the bulkhead?
Old 07-25-2004, 12:09 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks. We are attempting to unscrew the bulkhead, but now it is jammed and won't unscrew. Any hints for this. WE are trying pliers and it isn't working since the top part in the tank turns while we are trying to turn underneath. It is really stuck on there. Have been working for an hour trying to unscrew it. Yes, it was the bulkhead, not the drainhose leaking. I am really upset.... Any hints on unjamming a bulkhead that is screwed on funny would be appreciated.
Old 07-25-2004, 12:29 AM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Pair of channel locks on the bottom of the bulkhead and a pair on the nut.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 02:40 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

ya channels , I thought that was the only kinda pliers you should be able to hold the bulk head from the bottom with a second pair of pliers until the thing breaks loose anyway
Old 07-25-2004, 02:53 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks everyone fpr all the good advice!
I dunno how dh(dear husband) did it! He was cussin' too much for me to be in the room, and I was getting too nervous with the thought of my poor fishies being sumpless through the night. But somehow he did get the bulkhead unscrewed(after an hour of wrenching) and since we had bought two extra overflow plumbing kits, we were in luck and had a new bulkhead too replace the one that had gotten jammed. (We bought the extra overflows to get the new durso that Oceanic is making. I cursed for the extra hundred bucks it cost, but don't you know we have used most of the parts from the extra kits.)We were a bit concerned that the old bulkhead might be leakier, after getting jammed crooked and then being wrenched off. 8O We then put an extra rubber washer on the underside of the bulkhead as well as in the tank under the nut where one is spose to go (?). WAhlaaa! We aren't dripping anymore so not only did he fix the leak, but also the little drip we had from the drainhose that had never gotten solved over the last month of cycling. Gosh! I hope we don't get anymore problems. This new 150g tank has been overwhelming this past month as we have been starting it up. It makes my cichlid tanks look easy!
Old 07-25-2004, 11:58 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

ya you can buy just the bulk head for like $5 or less
Old 07-26-2004, 01:25 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

Cheap bulkhead?

How can you get just the bulkhead cheap??? Our LFS just has 3/4" bulkheads for sale. The Big ones that Oceanic uses only come in the whole overflow kit which is 50$ Didn't hurt to buy the whole extra kit once since we have used all the spare parts for setting up our refugium, but I would love to have some extra bulkheads available just in case...and I don't want to buy the whole kit over again.
Old 07-26-2004, 12:37 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

I believe you can get them at a hardware store, in the PVC section.....

Tags
oceanic

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com