Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-01-2004, 01:57 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Good luck with your mantis. Mine is clearly smarter then the average. I got the trap no luck, tried carbonated water. no luck, I am getting a new 110 gallon tank and Im not risking a mantis in it so I ended up taking my 30 pound rock and putting it in the tub with pure water for over 45 minutes. Still nothing.. He must be dead after that much time but I never have seen the little body.... I have no killed the entire rock too...... Makes me so MAD...

Old 03-01-2004, 02:03 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

well id say if ya had that hard of a time i wouldnt order florida rock then !! that sucks though i know what hole mine lives in and if and when i need to get him out worst case id break the rock and force him out but never dip in carbon water or even fresh for that matter sorry ya had a hard time and lost your rock

Old 03-01-2004, 02:19 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well better the rock then the whole tank I guess.... I was more worried about the glass breaking then replacing a few snails... They are a neat little creature. Mine was always out watching me....
Old 03-02-2004, 05:03 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Regular

noplac2hyd,
I have had a lot of experience with mantis hitchhikers. I had two at the same time in my LR. One cheap trap you can try that worked for me is to take an empt 1 or 2 liter container of soda. Cut it in half. Take the piece with the top and shove it, top first, into the other piece. This makes a cheap little trap for the mantis. Now place a piece of shrimp or any meaty fish food in the trap and then submerge it in a place that you have spotted him. It took me about a week to get the little bugger, but it worked out pretty good. Unfortunately I caught some other fish in there aws well so I had to reset the trap a couple of times. Good luck. My second mantis cracked my all glass tank and I broke that down in record time.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com