Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-29-2004, 10:48 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to noplac2hyd
Help Mantis

I buy 80 pounds liverock from liverocks.com and everything is perfect. i buy a 7 pound rock from a lfs and i gots me a mantis.... im now taking suggestions on easiest way to get rid and also what damage is to come any help is apprecieated

thanks

Old 02-29-2004, 10:59 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

the worst thing that i have read that they will do is eat your snails and mabe catch any slow/small fish !! but if you dont want him and ya know what rock hes in then pull the rock put in a bucket ya can trap him using a simple glass jar with a funnel on top of it !! that way when he falls in he cant escape!! and due to ya live in florida just let him go dont kill him ya know !! depending on which type ya have some dont get that big some do !!! i got a better feeding response from using raw clam than with a cocktail shrimp bi-valves are there fav food

Old 02-29-2004, 11:05 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to noplac2hyd
unfortunatly i have seen him in about 3 diffrent rocks now hes moving around... i remember they used to sell a trap for them i never knew if they worked or not or if they even sell them anymore im gonna go vist several lfs now see what i can dig up
Old 02-29-2004, 11:07 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

i got my trap from marine depot
Old 02-29-2004, 12:35 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to Brisc0
I have used carbonated water to get them before. If you know he is on a particular rock, glove up and pull it. (you must be quick so that he hides in the rock when he sees your hand coming) Hold the rock down into a white 5 gallon bucket (so you can see him)and slowly pour the carb water over the rock. He will leap out of there like its a building on fire. Its good to keep a gallon or so of tank water in the bucket also, this way you can retrieve anything else that might have taken the plunge that you want to keep without making them swim in pure carb water. Once you evac him run some fresh SW over the rock and place back in the tank. I have never had any coraline bleaching or otherwise bad response to the rock from using this procedure. Best of luck to you.

-105G SPS Reef with 30G Sump/Fuge Combo
-30G LTAnemonarium with mated porcelain crabs, 10 sexy shrimp, and 2 pink skunks all tied into the other 135G in my system.
Brisc0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2004, 12:38 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

mabe not but i bet ya lost not only the mantis but any pods/worms ect i wouldnt use carb water there are better ways to save the life on that $30 rock ya know
Old 02-29-2004, 12:41 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to Brisc0
I agree with you 100% Scuba, I realize that a good portion of the pods on the rock were lost, I was able to suck up the ones I could see with an eyedropper (likely a very small percent of the actual ones in the bucket)
Should have mentioned that in the first post. I didn't really worry about it that much because I have a booming POD population in my tank. If your scarce for bugs this might not be the best approach.

-105G SPS Reef with 30G Sump/Fuge Combo
-30G LTAnemonarium with mated porcelain crabs, 10 sexy shrimp, and 2 pink skunks all tied into the other 135G in my system.
Brisc0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2004, 12:45 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

to me the stuff costs to much to risk such an idea !! ya know unless ya wallets deeep then who cares leave the mantis in there and just add new snails when needed heheheh 100 for $30 not that bad imo i couldnt dive and get that many and would spend more than that renting a tank and boat heheheh
Old 03-01-2004, 12:59 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

scuba where do you get 100 snals for $30? i need some but they are 1.99 each. please let me know.. thanks
Old 03-01-2004, 01:13 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

http://www.reeftopia.com/

great service and shipping !! when i order online i always end up getting one or two dead animals!! with them i ordered 150 snails and 4 fish 8 peppermint shrimp and not one death was soooo very happy with them and will order all future snails true them !!

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com