Help me build a budget 40g breeder!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Im thinking about going with the tactronics 36" LED fixture. Is this a good idea? Also what skimmer could you guys recommend?

As of now my build has the following items:

-40b
-20lbs base rock
-Heater
-HOB filter
-Hydrometer
-Maxijet 1200

If you were building this tank on lets say $25-50 a week, how would you do it? In what order would you suggest getting things? Some stuff I know i'm going to have to save for but I think I am off to a good start having never done saltwater before. What would be your dream stock in a 40b? What substrate would you recommend? Please help! :)

I will be following your thread as I bought my 40gal breeder tonight.
cant wait see how yours comes out

do I need a refugum tank or a protein skimmer ? or both sorry to hijack your thread.

I bought a canister filter, I guess I dont need that for a reef tank. I can take it back, hopefully I can find a decent HOB protein skimmer.

I like the light you are thinking about going with. I use one a toatronic on my 20 and it's fantastic

Yes it's dimmable, I have both the blue and whites on about half power and the blues are on from 815am-1015pm and the whites are from 915am-915pm. It's very inexpensive too

I'm still working on acclimating my corals to the new light because it's stronger than my first one. And it's only a 20 with a 120 watt light which is more than enough for most types of corals of full power so I don't mind slowly bringing the intensity up

cleaning filter sox

how do you all wash/clean your filter socks? mine is not allowing water to flow through it anymore.

do you use the washing machine without soap?

dishwasher again no soap?

thanks for your help

Just picked up a used 150w heater and an aqueon Powerhead 950 gph for $15! Woot!

ForumRunner_20131124_153025.jpg

I personally wash mine. I usually spray them out first, flip them inside out then wash. I also rinse them afterwards too

I hate filter socks. I switched to panty hose and throw them away. People fear them clogging, but I've been working and unable to get more. Current pair has been going for over a month, though I wouldn't recommend this ever as is with them out weekly with water changes.

There are plenty of photos of my tank in my build thread UPGRADE 55 gal reef...or something like that. It's in the getting started sub forum. Not many recents... Keeps getting pushed back to other more important things.

Back
Top Bottom