Help me build a budget 40g breeder!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So...a little bit of an update. I have my tank up and running! I have about 25-30 pounds of live rock in my tank now. Well...10 pounds of dry Fiji rock and 10-15 pounds of live rock. I got the background on. It is a dark blue. Has anyone used the sea-view aquarium background sealant? I would NOT recommend it, at all. It does not live up to my expectations of what it should do, that's for sure.
Right now my tank is officially cycling and I am proud of that for sure! I did a lot of research about getting a cup or a bowl of sand from your LFS to seed the tank for microorganisms. I have been told that even in some cases, the tiny life that makes up the minimal phases and basics of a reef is what some people like looking at more than the reef itself? Is this true? Anyways, I got 3lbs of sand from one LFS. I drive to another one and they wouldn't give me any....So I got a hold of one of my reef buddies and drove to his house. For 25 dollars I got 5lbs of good, established fiji-rock. I got sand out of his 75 gallon display tank and some of his water. I added it last night and I have already noticed a decent sized Cauliflower Coral growing on one of the rocks. Asterina Starfish, Worms, Red-bristled feather dusters/ tube worms, Corraline Algae, and this is only the next morning. What else can I expect to see in the micro-life category??
My salinity is at 1.024-25. I am fine with that. My temp is at 78. I am only running a HOB filter with Carbon in it as of now. I plan on getting a skimmer and powerheads whilst the tank cycles.

You'll be amazed at all the creatures you will find in the tank. I have baby brittle stars as well, and they are pretty cool. I don't see them often, ususally just a leg every now and then.
Get a flashlight, and go look in the tank about an hour after the lights turn off. Its pretty cool what you find roaming the tank at night. I used to sit in the dark and just stare at it. Lol

You'll be amazed at all the creatures you will find in the tank. I have baby brittle stars as well, and they are pretty cool. I don't see them often, ususally just a leg every now and then.
Get a flashlight, and go look in the tank about an hour after the lights turn off. Its pretty cool what you find roaming the tank at night. I used to sit in the dark and just stare at it. Lol

Can you elaborate at the tiny things you have seen so I know what to expect? What happens at dark?

Got some updates on my tank finally! Would anyone care to identify the two pics that have hitchhikers on them? Are those zoas and feather dusters? Anyway, I just took this and this is day twelve of my cycle. Still no diatom bloom. Wonder why?

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1389653429.617975.jpgwhat could this be, hiding in the rock? This was a base rock that now has some type of life on it. You can see its white mouth in the center of the disk.

MImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1389657949.112740.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1389657949.112740.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1389657949.112740.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 86
So I just thought that I would post a couple updates on my 40 breeder. Day 20. Here we go. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1390266515.918592.jpg Halides have been added. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1390266574.388592.jpg ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1390266614.470908.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1390266631.993009.jpg green mushroom I got on a piece of live rock.

Back
Top Bottom