Help me build a budget 40g breeder!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dustinfeint

Aquarium Advice Activist
As of now my build has the following items:

-40b
-20lbs base rock
-Heater
-HOB filter
-Hydrometer
-Maxijet 1200

If you were building this tank on lets say $25-50 a week, how would you do it? In what order would you suggest getting things? Some stuff I know i'm going to have to save for but I think I am off to a good start having never done saltwater before. What would be your dream stock in a 40b? What substrate would you recommend? Please help! :)

A big part of the cost of a 40b is going to be the rock and the lights, especially if you want to build a reef.

Another note, 20 lbs of rock is going to leave the tank looking barren. I would probably increase that to 40lbs.

I'm not too sure about how good the maxi jet powerhead is but the Hydor Koralia line of powerheads is generally accepted as some of the best budget powerheads out there for saltwater. Take a look at those and see what you think.

If you are on a budget, Skipping the substrate and going bare bottomed is a popular option.

The best value heater I've found to date is the eheim jager.

The filter can be skipped in exchange for an extra powerhead or 2. The rock usually takes place of the filter in a saltwater tank.

Other stuff:
180g bucket of salt
QT tank (MUST HAVE)
Saltwater test kits
I'm assuming you have the rest of the general aquarium equipment.

If you search around online then you can get stuff at a fraction of the price that you can get it for at a LFS. Also, if you order enough most sites will offer free shipping.

My stocking list for my 40b reef:
Mcosker flasher wrasse
Combtooth Blenny
Ocelaris clownfish x2
Firefish Goby
Diamond Watchman Goby
Blue Reef Chromis

They are all reef safe fish, so if you might want a reef in the future then I would start planning for it now.

If its to be a future reef then invest in an ro-di unit now. Good water quality is the key to salt water. I would also go for a refractometer for measuring salinity, its far more accurate than a hydrometer...

If its to be a future reef then invest in an ro-di unit now. Good water quality is the key to salt water. I would also go for a refractometer for measuring salinity, its far more accurate than a hydrometer...

+1 and +1

A refractometer is a really really good purchase but for general use and budget concerns you can save $30 and buy a hydrometer and it will work okay.

RO/DI units are a very good option, most problems I've seen online have started because of a lack of one. I don't use one personally, but that's only because my tap water is amazing. No silicates, nitrate, phosphate, and very very low concentrations of heavy metals. It's still going to be my first purchase after I get my 40 reef started up.

If you aren't doing a sump I found a dresser at ikea for my 40 breeder freshwater tank that works well. It is almost the perfect size, it is a little tall but I think that is good since the breeder tank isn't that tall. I think it was around $110 and then you have drawers for supplies.

image-1351935273.jpg

Im still in limbo about doing a sump. Your dresser looks nice.

I would go hang on back protein skimmer instead of hob filter if you can. The bacteria in Your live rock and live sand will do most of the biological filtration.

Btw I would buy some live rock to "seed" the dry rock.

If you aren't doing a sump I found a dresser at ikea for my 40 breeder freshwater tank that works well. It is almost the perfect size, it is a little tall but I think that is good since the breeder tank isn't that tall. I think it was around $110 and then you have drawers for supplies.

View attachment 187469

The dresser looks nice, but is it solid enough to support 500ish lbs?

The dresser looks nice, but is it solid enough to support 500ish lbs?

Yeah, I have had my planted tank up for 5 months. I can bump it pretty good and it won't move. It is surprisingly sturdy.

Not trying to bash anyone`s experience but 500 lbs on top of a dresser is asking for problems. It might hold up at first but it wont last for long. JMO

Trying to find a stand for this is stupid

Petco had metal frame stands for this on sale last week, think they were about twenty-something bucks.
BTW, don't search for a stand for a 40b. Look for one for a 50 or a 65.

IMO your future purchases for consideration should be a protein skimmer ( recommend remora-s) some live rock to seed your dry rock as stated before, a couple circulation pumps and a light. ( I'd advise getting yourself the taotronics. They're more then capable of handling any coral you desire and are very cheap. About 120 for one unit. Also grab yourself some basic test kits if you don't have then already for cycling

I would like to add that live rock isn't necessary for seeding. The bacteria you want will come for free from the air.

Update!! Got a stand finally after looking for two months. Paid 70$. Coming along? What do you guys think? Got the twenty under there to start making my sump eventually. What's the next step now?

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130909_222044.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130909_222044.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 118
Very nice! :)

If you plan on having a drilled tank rather than a HOB overflow then you should drill the tank now rather than wait.

If you DO want a drilled tank then glue in the panels to set up compartments for your refugium now

Back
Top Bottom