Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-29-2005, 03:41 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Jonathan G.
help me decide what to get next plz

k i have a 75g tank about 40lbs of live rock and plan on adding about 60 more. my first fish was a pair of 2 baby O. clowns, then i added my adorable lawnmower blenny, then my beautiful 6 line wrasse, and this last friday i added my magnificent rainford (court jester) goby. i also have a big purple feather duster and a handful of hermits and snails and one half dollar size horseshoe crab aka "frank the tank". i'm thinking ill get the live rock before i add anymore but im talking about live stock after i get the live rock. any suggestions are welcome and very appreciated. anything you got that you wish you would have gotten something else in its place?

Old 03-29-2005, 01:22 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

how about a tang? good luck

The Coral: zoos, kenya trees, shrooms, leathers, hammer, and star polyps
The Inverts: LT anemone, pistol shrimp, urchins, etc.
The Janitors: nassarius snails, turbos, hermits, several brittle and serpent stars
The Rock: 68# of Keys-12# Base Rock; from LR.com
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 04:27 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

be very careful adding more live rock. You must be certain it's 100% cured before you add it, or you could throw the tank into another cycle and harm the fish.

i wouldn't add any more livestock until you get your live rock up to at least 1lb per gallon of water (75lbs or more).
Old 03-30-2005, 12:35 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

how bout a bicolor blenny?
Old 03-30-2005, 12:56 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

i already have a lawnmower blenny, could i keep a bi-color also?
Old 03-30-2005, 01:50 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Save the money get base rock www.hirocks.com 60lbs for $85. Your live rock will seed it and you can use the savings on livestock.
Old 03-30-2005, 02:08 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Sorry to say but horseshoes are one that should be avoided. 75 gallons would not have enough sandy area to maintain a horseshoe crab for long. Unless your tank is well established he is already exhausting the fauna in the sand. Flame scallops are another one to avoid. they have a short life span (3-4 years) and are usually 3-4 years old when you see them in the lfs.
Old 03-30-2005, 02:19 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

should i kill it? if so how should i? it doesn't seem that harmful and i dont have a dsb. what do they eat that will damage my sand bed? this guy stays buried for most of the day and only comes out for part of the night and spend most of his time scuttling around the ground and catching flight using my powerheads.
Old 03-30-2005, 02:33 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Don't kill it, he's small still but he will get bigger (2 feet at maturity). Horseshoe crabs are not harmful, they just eat alot. They won't damage your sand bed sorry if you got that impression. They eat worms and organic material in the sand and most tanks are not big enough to supply it with enough food.
Old 03-30-2005, 02:38 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to AR15 guy
I personally like firefish and royal grammas myself. But most people would probably be bored to death with my 3 favorite fish. O. Clowns, royal grammas, and firefish.

I have small tanks so it is good that I like small easy to maintain fish.

You should be able to get away with a yellow tang.

Some years back I had my 38 gallon setup with 2lbs (lol yes 2lbs) of LR, a big rock from the LFS, CC, tronic heater, aquaclear 300, and an emporer 280. With media and biowheels. I cycled the tank with a bunch of mollies. That tank did great somehow. I had 2 percs, 1 royal gramma and a yellow tang. I am not sure why I sat and typed this...maybe I am really tired.

29 gal FW, boring...soon to be salt I think.

10 gal SW, 20lbs LS, 20lbs base rock, 1 unhappy domino damsel (he was in the 38...switched the percs and the damesel recently).
AR15 guy is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com