help me get my parameters set for Corals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

goisles1

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all,

I'm gearing up for some Frag purchases in the coming weeks. I actually stopped at the LFS today and almost bought 2 Frags that were labled "buttons". They looked like Zoas to me and my limited Coral knowledge.

Anyway, The LFS guy told me my parameters were off for coral and I should probably get them sorted before wasting money.

So..here I go:

Tank is 3 months old. FOWLR Livestock seem to be thriving. I want to start with Frags only as I'm trying to be a little more thrifty lately. I'm thinking some Zoas, mushrooms, etc added a little at a time.

It's a 45g tank (3ftL/2ftH) with the Nova Ex Pro T5HO lighting (6x39W)

Salinity = Swing Arm Hydro reads right between 1.021 and 1.022 and points directly at 29.

Temp (Digital Probe is in Sump) = 76.3

Basic tests (taken 5 minutes ago)
PH = 8.4
Amm = 0
Nitrite = 0
Nitrate = minimal

I guess my basic issues will be Salinity and Temp. Any opinions?

I would slowly move salinity to 1.024- 1.025. Move your temp to around 78 slowly. For a reef tank you need more test than that. You`ll need a calcium, alkalinity, magnesium and maybe some other test kits to test for. Just look for a reef test kit.

I agree with Mike and would go a little further and say get a refractometer for your salinity and get it to 1.026 (natural seawater) and bump your temp up to 80.

Since your on LI, have you been to NY Aquatics? I'm tempted to take a trip out there, but it's a little over 2.5 hrs away from me.

I would slowly move salinity to 1.024- 1.025. Move your temp to around 78 slowly. For a reef tank you need more test than that. You`ll need a calcium, alkalinity, magnesium and maybe some other test kits to test for. Just look for a reef test kit.
What's the best practice to raise Salinity??

Should I use SW as Top off water? I go through approx 5gals of TopOff per week. If so, what Salinity should I use for the top off?

Or, should I just use Higher gravity SW for my water changes?

I would top off with SW. Maybe a 1/2 gallon of SW and the rest FW each day till it`s up to where you want it.

I agree with Mike and would go a little further and say get a refractometer for your salinity and get it to 1.026 (natural seawater) and bump your temp up to 80.

Since your on LI, have you been to NY Aquatics? I'm tempted to take a trip out there, but it's a little over 2.5 hrs away from me.

Hey ccCapt... Yes I'm on LI and NO I've never been to NY Aquatics.. Honestly, never heard of it. I just did a local google search and it doesn;t come up. Tell me about it:)

Back
Top Bottom