Help me lower my nitrates...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AH-99p

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello,

My tank has cycled and is doing well... the only problem i have with levels in the tank are high nitrate levels. I had been using an AP nitrate test kit, which was giving results between 80 & 160... and following advice on here, I went out and bought a second test kit.

My salifert no3 test kit result comes out at a much lower result than the AP test kit (which i have been told may be due to age). The reading is: a colour between 25 & 50...

Either way, such a high nitrate reading is surely cause for concern? I have no idea what is causing the high nitrates or how to lower them? I've seen a couple of people mention kent's nitrate sponge... would this help?

AH-99P.

I started my cycle with "old" water from a water change from a friend's tank, the LFS (i know, i know) advised to do this as it would increase the speed of the cycle... Since the cycle has finished, I have performed a 50% water change... The reading of 25 - 50 is the reading I took 24hrs after this water change.

What kind of timeline are we talking about? When did you start the cycle, how long did it take to finish, how long before you did the 50% water change, and how long since the change?

-j

tank been setup: 6 weeks
live rock added: 6 weeks ago
prawn "humane cycle" added: 4 weeks ago
cycle completed: ~7 days ago

50% water change: 2 days ago
levels last tested: 1 day ago

no water changes took place during the cycle.

do you run a skimmer, fuge or nitrate exporting algae? My chaeto dominates the nitrates.

The nitrates probably came along with the "old" water. Since you don't have any fish I would think a 100 percent water change is in order.

rubikcube said:
The nitrates probably came along with the "old" water. Since you don't have any fish I would think a 100 percent water change is in order.

i disagree. a 100 percent PWC doesn't make sense at this point unless the water were had been ruined with a toxin...and in that case, you'd have to completely tear down the entire setup and wash it down throughly..

Just contine doing big PWC's until the nitrates go down.

Have you cleaned your cannister filter?
Could be trapped detritus in there breaking down to nitrates. Keep the filter clean (weekly maintenance) and keep up with 20-30% PWC till the trates comes down. Back off on feeding too if you are feeding more than 3x/ week.

cmor1701d said:
Have you cleaned your cannister filter?
Could be trapped detritus in there breaking down to nitrates. Keep the filter clean (weekly maintenance) and keep up with 20-30% PWC till the trates comes down. Back off on feeding too if you are feeding more than 3x/ week.

Hello,

Currently I do not run a skimmer - I was advised that I wouldn't need to consider a skimmer until the tank is 6months old, this advice came from LFS, so maybe it isn't as correct as it should be... Should i get a skimmer?

Every time i do a PWC, i give the canister filter a quick rince in the water i've removed from the tank... starting with the soft pads, then moving onto the bioballs & porcelin tubes.

Thanks for the help :)

zenn said:
i disagree. a 100 percent PWC doesn't make sense at this point unless the water were had been ruined with a toxin...and in that case, you'd have to completely tear down the entire setup and wash it down throughly..

Take 100 percent of the water out and you are taking 100 percent of the nitrates out. Since it appears that the nitrates came in with the water, it would make perfect sense to eliminate the water. Also, why do multiple big water changes when you can do one complete one? It would save quite a bit of time and water expenses.

rubikcube said:
zenn said:

Take 100 percent of the water out and you are taking 100 percent of the nitrates out. Since it appears that the nitrates came in with the water, it would make perfect sense to eliminate the water. Also, why do multiple big water changes when you can do one complete one? It would save quite a bit of time and water expenses.

because then he'd have to start the cycle all over again. By keeping at least some of the water, he's keeping the cycle alive. I don't think he needs to start all over again...by just doing PWC, he can get the nitrates down.

I however, don't like the canister filter alegedly has. They are nitrate factories.

Yesterday, I performed a 75% water change.

Today the Nitrate levels are at a lighter colour than before which i can definetly say is 25.

I have added some nitrate feeding algie to a corner of the tank and also replaced one of the three trays in the canister filter with kent nitrate sponge... apparently both additions can take up to 4 weeks to show any effect.

I was also advised that adding hermits & some kind of snail which sifts through the sand will help reduce the nitrates further.

AH-99P.

your no3 are probably comming from your water you supply as well. use ro/di water or go to the store and get distilled :same thing: i had the same problem also too your LR may have a lot of die off on it if it wasnt treated during the cycle phase. make sure you have good current in your tank to clean the LR so it can break down the no3

hth

oh another thing, how big is your tank and how much lr do you have. also. what is your ss?

Mghslowell said:
your no3 are probably comming from your water you supply as well. use ro/di water or go to the store and get distilled

I buy all my RO water from the LFS.

Mghslowell said:
your LR may have a lot of die off on it if it wasnt treated during the cycle phase. make sure you have good current in your tank to clean the LR so it can break down the no3

I bought all the LR as fully cured from the LFS, so it'd have been out of water for a max of 10 - 15 minutes. I do have a good current in the tank with the filter feedback and the powerhead.

Mghslowell said:
how big is your tank and how much lr do you have. also. what is your ss?

Tank: 35Gallons
LR: 15-16Kg
SS: what is SS?

AH-99P.

I would be its your canister thats causing the problems. Bioballs , biowheels, filter pads, foam blocks. The reason i say this is Nitrates are in the water column and this is not found in your rock or substrate, for the simple reason you are doing heafty water changes and still combating the nitrate problem with no fish in the tank yet ... Personally as a test I would disconect the Canister and run the powerhead only since you have no fish to worry about, do 10 - 20 % daily PWC's and check every day ... if you see a steady decrease ... you may want to look at another form of media for your canister or another alternative.

I'll take your advice on the canister and see how it goes. I don't have an undergravel filter.

ah... in that case,

ss = "coral" sand... just a very fine off-white / cream coloured sand.

Back
Top Bottom