Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-01-2006, 11:24 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenn
i disagree. a 100 percent PWC doesn't make sense at this point unless the water were had been ruined with a toxin...and in that case, you'd have to completely tear down the entire setup and wash it down throughly..

Just contine doing big PWC's until the nitrates go down.
Take 100 percent of the water out and you are taking 100 percent of the nitrates out. Since it appears that the nitrates came in with the water, it would make perfect sense to eliminate the water. Also, why do multiple big water changes when you can do one complete one? It would save quite a bit of time and water expenses.

Old 03-01-2006, 07:48 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubikcube
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenn
i disagree. a 100 percent PWC doesn't make sense at this point unless the water were had been ruined with a toxin...and in that case, you'd have to completely tear down the entire setup and wash it down throughly..

Just contine doing big PWC's until the nitrates go down.
Take 100 percent of the water out and you are taking 100 percent of the nitrates out. Since it appears that the nitrates came in with the water, it would make perfect sense to eliminate the water. Also, why do multiple big water changes when you can do one complete one? It would save quite a bit of time and water expenses.
because then he'd have to start the cycle all over again. By keeping at least some of the water, he's keeping the cycle alive. I don't think he needs to start all over again...by just doing PWC, he can get the nitrates down.

I however, don't like the canister filter alegedly has. They are nitrate factories.

Old 03-02-2006, 07:14 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Yesterday, I performed a 75% water change.

Today the Nitrate levels are at a lighter colour than before which i can definetly say is 25.

I have added some nitrate feeding algie to a corner of the tank and also replaced one of the three trays in the canister filter with kent nitrate sponge... apparently both additions can take up to 4 weeks to show any effect.

I was also advised that adding hermits & some kind of snail which sifts through the sand will help reduce the nitrates further.

AH-99P.
Old 03-02-2006, 08:28 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to Mghslowell Send a message via MSN to Mghslowell Send a message via Yahoo to Mghslowell
your no3 are probably comming from your water you supply as well. use ro/di water or go to the store and get distilled :same thing: i had the same problem also too your LR may have a lot of die off on it if it wasnt treated during the cycle phase. make sure you have good current in your tank to clean the LR so it can break down the no3

hth

oh another thing, how big is your tank and how much lr do you have. also. what is your ss?
Mghslowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 05:17 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mghslowell
your no3 are probably comming from your water you supply as well. use ro/di water or go to the store and get distilled
I buy all my RO water from the LFS.

Quote:
your LR may have a lot of die off on it if it wasnt treated during the cycle phase. make sure you have good current in your tank to clean the LR so it can break down the no3
I bought all the LR as fully cured from the LFS, so it'd have been out of water for a max of 10 - 15 minutes. I do have a good current in the tank with the filter feedback and the powerhead.

Quote:
how big is your tank and how much lr do you have. also. what is your ss?
Tank: 35Gallons
LR: 15-16Kg
SS: what is SS?

AH-99P.
Old 03-03-2006, 05:43 AM   #16

Send a message via MSN to dankent
I would be its your canister thats causing the problems. Bioballs , biowheels, filter pads, foam blocks. The reason i say this is Nitrates are in the water column and this is not found in your rock or substrate, for the simple reason you are doing heafty water changes and still combating the nitrate problem with no fish in the tank yet ... Personally as a test I would disconect the Canister and run the powerhead only since you have no fish to worry about, do 10 - 20 % daily PWC's and check every day ... if you see a steady decrease ... you may want to look at another form of media for your canister or another alternative.
Old 03-03-2006, 05:44 AM   #17

Send a message via MSN to dankent
oh one more thing .. you dont have a under gravel filter in there do ya ?
Old 03-03-2006, 06:59 AM   #18

I'll take your advice on the canister and see how it goes. I don't have an undergravel filter.
Old 03-03-2006, 08:31 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to Mghslowell Send a message via MSN to Mghslowell Send a message via Yahoo to Mghslowell
ss= substrate being crushed coral or live sand
Mghslowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 09:05 AM   #20

ah... in that case,

ss = "coral" sand... just a very fine off-white / cream coloured sand.

Tags
nitrates

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com