Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-27-2006, 05:28 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Help me lower my nitrates...

Hello,

My tank has cycled and is doing well... the only problem i have with levels in the tank are high nitrate levels. I had been using an AP nitrate test kit, which was giving results between 80 & 160... and following advice on here, I went out and bought a second test kit.

My salifert no3 test kit result comes out at a much lower result than the AP test kit (which i have been told may be due to age). The reading is: a colour between 25 & 50...

Either way, such a high nitrate reading is surely cause for concern? I have no idea what is causing the high nitrates or how to lower them? I've seen a couple of people mention kent's nitrate sponge... would this help?

AH-99P.

Old 02-27-2006, 06:04 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to h8z2luze Send a message via MSN to h8z2luze Send a message via Yahoo to h8z2luze
Well have you been doing partial water changes?

Old 02-27-2006, 07:13 AM   #3

I started my cycle with "old" water from a water change from a friend's tank, the LFS (i know, i know) advised to do this as it would increase the speed of the cycle... Since the cycle has finished, I have performed a 50% water change... The reading of 25 - 50 is the reading I took 24hrs after this water change.
Old 02-27-2006, 01:57 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to hisc1ay Send a message via Yahoo to hisc1ay
What kind of timeline are we talking about? When did you start the cycle, how long did it take to finish, how long before you did the 50% water change, and how long since the change?

-j
Old 02-27-2006, 02:50 PM   #5

tank been setup: 6 weeks
live rock added: 6 weeks ago
prawn "humane cycle" added: 4 weeks ago
cycle completed: ~7 days ago

50% water change: 2 days ago
levels last tested: 1 day ago

no water changes took place during the cycle.
Old 02-27-2006, 03:18 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

do you run a skimmer, fuge or nitrate exporting algae? My chaeto dominates the nitrates.
Old 02-27-2006, 06:43 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

The nitrates probably came along with the "old" water. Since you don't have any fish I would think a 100 percent water change is in order.
Old 02-27-2006, 07:57 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubikcube
The nitrates probably came along with the "old" water. Since you don't have any fish I would think a 100 percent water change is in order.
i disagree. a 100 percent PWC doesn't make sense at this point unless the water were had been ruined with a toxin...and in that case, you'd have to completely tear down the entire setup and wash it down throughly..

Just contine doing big PWC's until the nitrates go down.
Old 02-27-2006, 08:29 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Have you cleaned your cannister filter?
Could be trapped detritus in there breaking down to nitrates. Keep the filter clean (weekly maintenance) and keep up with 20-30% PWC till the trates comes down. Back off on feeding too if you are feeding more than 3x/ week.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 05:10 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmor1701d
Have you cleaned your cannister filter?
Could be trapped detritus in there breaking down to nitrates. Keep the filter clean (weekly maintenance) and keep up with 20-30% PWC till the trates comes down. Back off on feeding too if you are feeding more than 3x/ week.
Hello,

Currently I do not run a skimmer - I was advised that I wouldn't need to consider a skimmer until the tank is 6months old, this advice came from LFS, so maybe it isn't as correct as it should be... Should i get a skimmer?

Every time i do a PWC, i give the canister filter a quick rince in the water i've removed from the tank... starting with the soft pads, then moving onto the bioballs & porcelin tubes.

Thanks for the help

Tags
nitrates

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com