help me pick a new fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

surfer1712

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Im trying to decide on a new fish but need some help. im thinking about one or two neon gobys. Any suggestions .I have a 75 gallon long fish only aquarium with a moderate number of hiding spots. In it i have a yellow tang, 2 perc. clownfish, and a coral beauty pigmy angel. Let me know what u think :p

Hmmm, thats some space! One of my "one day I would like to get" fish is a saddleback butterfly, or a foxface rabbitfish (he eats bubble algea). Its hard to pick fish that are compatible, and space, and will it hide all day...We wil probably get a couple goby's in the future, they are cute!

yes the are pretty but very picky eaters and most of them are cianid caught. Well first of all how much are you looking to spend i can name lots of fish but some are pretty expensive.

Copperband butterfly fish are not easy fish to keep. They can have problems acclimating to prepared foods. It's also a dwarf angel not a pygmy. :mrgreen: I think a foxface lo would do well, or even a few blue or green chromis.

Hey Six-Line, have you seen an eight-line wrasse before? They are pretty cool. One of the LFS here in LA had a bunch of them for a while, but I couldnt get one with all the predators in my tank. Speaking of wrasses surfer1712, have you looked at the Scott's Velvet Wrasse or anyother of the reef safe colorful wrasse that would be perfect for yuor community tank? They can be upwards of $100 (depends on source, look around) but they are so amazingly colorful.

-B

Yea, I think they are less reef safe though. (eat small shrimps)

Since you seem to like gobies, I'd suggest a pistol shrimp along with a watchman goby. I think the relationship is a fascinating thing to watch. I've had both two spots (a pair) and a high fin gobies in there also. The watchman got along fine with both pairs. The high fin even sat at the shrimp hole sided by side. I also thought the pistol shrimp does good work by tunelling and moving the sand. Be careful to situate your LR on the bottom of the tank, not on the top of the sand if you did consider this combo. Even with other sand sifting gobies you might consider, placing the rock correctly will prevent rocks from tumbling down.

Just got thru a velvet outbreak. Killed 7 or so fish. The watchman goby came thru untouched. Very hardy too.

thanks for all the input this will help in my descicion but im still not sure cause i dont want to spend too much money and also would like one that isnt real hard to take care of

the watchman goby or wrasse sound like good options

since im still fairly new to the aquarium hobby i think im gonna go with an easier fish like the watchman goby

thanks for all the help :mrgreen:

I would go with something that is a bottom sand dweller to add movement to the lower area. A pink spot shrimp goby is a real cool fish. Takes awhile to get over the initila shyness but after they settle in they are really active. Or a bi-color blenny!

Back
Top Bottom