Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-17-2004, 06:24 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

help me pick a new fish

Im trying to decide on a new fish but need some help. im thinking about one or two neon gobys. Any suggestions .I have a 75 gallon long fish only aquarium with a moderate number of hiding spots. In it i have a yellow tang, 2 perc. clownfish, and a coral beauty pigmy angel. Let me know what u think :P

Old 05-17-2004, 06:50 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to RocketSeason
get a copperbanded butterfly. those fish are gorgous!

Hardware: 37 gallon SW tank and stand by Oceanic Systems, Magnum 350 Pro Canister Filter (half carbon), CPR Bak Pak 2R skimmer, Maxijet 1200 Powerhead, RenaCal 150 W heater, Compact fluorescent lights with moonlights. 40 lbs of liverock, 3" sand bed.

Software:2 Tank-Raised Ocellaris Clowns, 1 Purple Firefish, 1 Electric Orange hermit crab, 18 Blue Legged hermit crabs, 8 or so Nassarius snails, Xenia, Blue, green, and Green Striped Mushrooms.

Click here to vote for AquariumAdvice.com: The friendliest, fishiest place on the net!

Central Illinois Marane Aquarist (CIMA) member.
RocketSeason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 06:52 PM   #3

Hmmm, thats some space! One of my "one day I would like to get" fish is a saddleback butterfly, or a foxface rabbitfish (he eats bubble algea). Its hard to pick fish that are compatible, and space, and will it hide all day...We wil probably get a couple goby's in the future, they are cute!
Old 05-17-2004, 06:52 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to brndfrb
yes the are pretty but very picky eaters and most of them are cianid caught. Well first of all how much are you looking to spend i can name lots of fish but some are pretty expensive.
Old 05-17-2004, 07:01 PM   #5

how can you find out who is cianid caught? Hopefully the store doesnt knowingly purchase these I'm sure.
Old 05-17-2004, 07:34 PM   #6

Copperband butterfly fish are not easy fish to keep. They can have problems acclimating to prepared foods. It's also a dwarf angel not a pygmy. I think a foxface lo would do well, or even a few blue or green chromis.
Old 05-18-2004, 03:30 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Hey Six-Line, have you seen an eight-line wrasse before? They are pretty cool. One of the LFS here in LA had a bunch of them for a while, but I couldnt get one with all the predators in my tank. Speaking of wrasses surfer1712, have you looked at the Scott's Velvet Wrasse or anyother of the reef safe colorful wrasse that would be perfect for yuor community tank? They can be upwards of $100 (depends on source, look around) but they are so amazingly colorful.

-B
Old 05-18-2004, 09:52 AM   #8

Yea, I think they are less reef safe though. (eat small shrimps)
Old 05-18-2004, 10:11 AM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Since you seem to like gobies, I'd suggest a pistol shrimp along with a watchman goby. I think the relationship is a fascinating thing to watch. I've had both two spots (a pair) and a high fin gobies in there also. The watchman got along fine with both pairs. The high fin even sat at the shrimp hole sided by side. I also thought the pistol shrimp does good work by tunelling and moving the sand. Be careful to situate your LR on the bottom of the tank, not on the top of the sand if you did consider this combo. Even with other sand sifting gobies you might consider, placing the rock correctly will prevent rocks from tumbling down.

Just got thru a velvet outbreak. Killed 7 or so fish. The watchman goby came thru untouched. Very hardy too.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2004, 07:49 PM   #10

thanks for all the input this will help in my descicion but im still not sure cause i dont want to spend too much money and also would like one that isnt real hard to take care of

the watchman goby or wrasse sound like good options

Tags
ick, new fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com