Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-19-2006, 10:07 AM   #31
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sum1serin
Well, I figured I'd have one of those tubes that seems to have the bubble shape... they tend to be black, and it splits off in two... sorry I can't describe it any better.
Are these what you're thinking of?

Quote:
in-line heater? how so? heh.
If you have enough room in the sump, it's much cheaper and easier to put a normal submersable heater in the sump. However some people have equiptment left over from thier canister days, and have in-line heaters, that get plumbed into the return line, that heat the water flowing through them.

Quote:
And a DIY skimmer.... are those any good? What I wouldn't kill for to not have to spend so much money on a skimmer (although I know it's good)... I hear people doing without a skimmer... hmm. Any input?
It can vary greatly depending on the features. I've seen skimmers put together really cheaply that work pretty well, but wern't very cleanable. I think the design I scrapped for myself ended up being $40 or so by the time I got in there enough screw-on and union fittings to make it easy to clean. I could buy a low-end skimmer for that price and not have to worry about designing it correctly. The idea in a DIY skimmer is to maximize the time that water and air bubbles are in contact with one another. There's a really good article by Shane Graber that you should read if you want to build your own skimmer.

As for going without a skimmer, that depends on what you're keeping. Skimmers are good for keeping nitrates down, because they remove organics from the system instead of encouraging them to break down like your biological filter does. If you want to keep the more sensitive corals, a skimmer is a good idea. If you have a large saltwater aquarium and a nano, the nano can get frequent water changes from the large aquarium to keep the water stable and do without a skimmer. A fish only tank can go without a skimmer.

Quote:
And yes, you have been a wonderful help!
Glad to help.

dskidmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 10:43 AM   #32
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Are these what you're thinking of?
Yes, those are what I'm talking about.... is that good?

I've heard you don't need a skimmer until a few months in, is that also correct?

I don't want to spend extra money on a skimmer if I can get an economically priced skimmer instead.

And I just want to be secure on this... a 20 gal long will be fine for a sump? including overflow? or would a 20 gal high be better?

I just want to get a few things known concrete so that I feel a sembalenc of organization.

Old 07-19-2006, 12:46 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Yes, those are what I'm talking about.... is that good?
They're certianly popular, although I've not tried them myself, so I can't really say.

Quote:
I've heard you don't need a skimmer until a few months in, is that also correct?
Some people belive that you should cycle without the skimmer running. I think if you go for gulf rock with lots of life on it, it's worth it to run the skimmer, but if you have fiji or other rock that's just the bacteria and coralline, the skimmer isn't needed during the cycle.

Quote:
I don't want to spend extra money on a skimmer if I can get an economically priced skimmer instead.
See if there's a local aquarium club near you. You might be able to get good used equiptment there. Also keep an eye on your newspaper's classified ads.

Quote:
And I just want to be secure on this... a 20 gal long will be fine for a sump? including overflow? or would a 20 gal high be better?
20 gallons is 20 gallons, the high won't have more overflow protection. The long is more easily modifiable if you want to add baffles and such.
Old 07-19-2006, 03:16 PM   #34

Quote:
20 gallons is 20 gallons, the high won't have more overflow protection. The long is more easily modifiable if you want to add baffles and such.
But with a 75gal, I should be okay with overflow and it not flooding, right?
Old 07-19-2006, 04:29 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Quote:
But with a 75gal, I should be okay with overflow and it not flooding, right?
What size pipes are you using? Are you going to partition off any chambers?

20 gallons should be fine, unless you're planning on the majority of that space going to fuge and skimmer chambers.

The overflow area of the sump should be greater than the volume of water in the pipes, plus a little extra if your anti-siphon hole is under the surface of the water.
Old 07-19-2006, 09:31 PM   #36

Bah!! too many questions.

Actually, I have no cluse what size pipes... not even to plumbing yet... but the tank is a Perfecto 75 corner flow... I dont have it yet, untill paycheck comes out...

I dont really plan on having a fuge... I will have the skimmer in the overflow chamber.. opposite of the intake...
Old 07-19-2006, 11:16 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I will have the skimmer in the overflow chamber.. opposite of the intake...
Interesing choice. I've not seen that configuration before, let me know how it works out.

So you don't need much water in your sump at all, you'll have plenty of room.

If you're not having any partitions in your sump, you may want to consider a sponge prefilter on the return pump to cut down on air bubbles.
Old 07-20-2006, 12:54 AM   #38

Quote:
Interesing choice. I've not seen that configuration before, let me know how it works out.
Is that not how it always is?

wouldn't the skimmer be put where the water flows down into the sump? rather than where it goes up? or is it opposite?

And I was actually going to ask you what you thought about having some filtering things inside the sump..... of course a filter, bio balls? On a 300 gal tank at our store, we have a sump under it that just has filtering material like shavings of PVC.. .think that would be good for it?
Old 07-20-2006, 09:54 AM   #39
Aquarium Advice Addict

Oh, I thought you meant protien skimmer, which is something completely diffrent than surface skimmer.

Surface skimmer: any method of filtration input that takes a portion of the water from the surface of the tank. Examples: overflow boxes, canister filter skimmer adaptors. If you have an overflow chamber, there is no need for a seperate surface skimmer.

Protien Skimmer: a filtration unit that forces air and water to mix, producing a waste foam of organic materal. This is usually placed in the sump, or is a hang-on-back variety.

Filtration in sump: if you have enough live rock in the display tank (1 lb/gallon) then all you really need is a protien skimmer. A fuge can be helpful, filled with either live rock rubble or macro algaes depending on your goals.
Old 07-20-2006, 12:45 PM   #40

I plan on having a protein skimmer in the sump... I may be able to have a small amount of rock rubble in the sump, but must it be lighted? Just probably not alot of room for frags and everything else. lol.

I hear alot of people putting Cheato in there... where can you find that stuff? and is it really good?

Tags
breed, breeder, sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com