Help me understand??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sgc1107

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm preparing to start my first 150gl custom build and I've done some blue prints but now I'm rethinking because I didn't realize (current tank 55gl not drilled) the tank I'm looking at will be drilled and have 2 overflows (only planned for one when this was all a thought) anyways I'm going to use a 40gl breeder for sump (I think still in debate) and I'm wondering about flow rates. How is this calculated? Is each tank different? Is there some sore of rule of thumb to go by? This will also effect the size of PVC I use too right?

The tank I have now I bought all set up so I didn't get to experience this before :) thanks in advance for any help!

It's just gravity fed to the sump and pumped back up. A common diameter is 1" for drain and 3/4" return.

It's just gravity fed to the sump and pumped back up. A common diameter is 1" for drain and 3/4" return.

Ok but what about flow rate? What is the average pump size (GPH) that should be put through a sump? Is each tank different because is determined by tank size?

You want about 5-10x your tank size going through your sump per hour. And about 30x+ for the entire tank (with powerheads).

You usually just want 5-10x. Doesn't really matter what the skimmer can take in. If more water is moving through the sump and the skimmer can't filter all of it it'll Just go back through another time.

You usually just want 5-10x. Doesn't really matter what the skimmer can take in. If more water is moving through the sump and the skimmer can't filter all of it it'll Just go back through another time.

I was looking at mag drives, so would a 950gph return pump do me good? Or go a little higher?

Headloss is the gph lost over the length of the output. Say at your pump the output is 100gph. But if you have a pipe vertically 1 foot off the pump your gph falls to say 80gph (only loose example not real numbers) then you put a 90 degree elbow, then some pipe horizontally...all of that affects what the final out put is of the pump.

Headloss is the gph lost over the length of the output. Say at your pump the output is 100gph. But if you have a pipe vertically 1 foot off the pump your gph falls to say 80gph (only loose example not real numbers) then you put a 90 degree elbow, then some pipe horizontally...all of that affects what the final out put is of the pump.

That's what I thought, thank you! I was watching a YouTube video about each piece of PVC (90's, 45's, t's) each have a value to configure the total headloss. It was a good video :)

I wouldn't use hard pipe for the drains. You may want to move them from time to time. I would use flexible pool hose for the drains.
I would also use flexible hose for the return(s) to cut down head loss.
I suggested a 40 breeder because of the footprint. It's 36 x 18. You will have many more skimmer options if you go with a wider tank as a sump.
One more thing I would suggest- if you haven't purchased this display yet, I would seriously consider a 180. A 150 is only 18" front to back, a 180 is 24. You will love the extra depth. Plus, a 180 is a few inches shorter top to bottom than a 150, which makes it much easier to reach the bottom, with light, and your arm.

+1
Flexible hose is easier to deal with even if it doesn't look as nice but it's hidden either way

I wouldn't use hard pipe for the drains. You may want to move them from time to time. I would use flexible pool hose for the drains.
I would also use flexible hose for the return(s) to cut down head loss.
I suggested a 40 breeder because of the footprint. It's 36 x 18. You will have many more skimmer options if you go with a wider tank as a sump.
One more thing I would suggest- if you haven't purchased this display yet, I would seriously consider a 180. A 150 is only 18" front to back, a 180 is 24. You will love the extra depth. Plus, a 180 is a few inches shorter top to bottom than a 150, which makes it much easier to reach the bottom, with light, and your arm.

Lol my husband may kill me!!.... Hmmm 180 gotta look into this now!

Never thought to use pool hose... Still thinking!! Thanks!!

Back
Top Bottom