Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-31-2005, 04:06 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via Yahoo to army6192plt
help!!!! Moving my tank

I need to move my tank tonight, as the weather is permitting being as warm as it is here in new england, and I need advice as to what the best possiable way to move the tank is. Do I need to emepty out all the water and rock and all or can i get away with leaving some water in the tanka nd removing the fish and the rock into seperate containers, and transport the tank with the sand and a small ammount of water so i will not kill it all off. I really want to save the fish, as i am battling a brown alge problem. I think i may have the ich at bay for now, but i need time to set up a QT so i can start over. any help you are able to provide would be greatly appreciated..

tj

Old 11-01-2005, 08:07 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
leaving some water in the tanka nd removing the fish and the rock into seperate containers, and transport the tank with the sand and a small ammount of water so i will not kill it all off.
I think you're on to something there. :wink

How far is the move?

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 02:36 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

water is heavy! your going to want to take everything out of the tank that you can. this all depends on the size of the tank, and the capabilites of the people doing the moving. also, things are going to die, prepare yourself for a cycle when you rebuild your tank. dont overload the container... you dont want to break a can or bucket and lose your livestock (etc.)

1. get a lot of buckets and heavy duty garbage cans.
2. move your fish to the QT or buckets 1/2 full of water.
3. remove rocks and divide them up into the garbage cans. try to keep the cans on the empty side. you can cover the rocks with some water, or you can use wet newspaper and/or towels to keep some moisture on the rocks. dont fill the containers too high, because the water will slosh around.
4. use other buckets or cans to carry the sand. i would put some water in those containers to keep the sand wet. again, try not to make these too heavy to deal with.
5. remove the remaining water and put it somewhere, bucket, jugs, etc. once the tank is as empty as you can get it, then you can move it. i would recommend against moving the tank with anything in it, as you may end up spliting a seam with all the sand, water, rock, etc still in the tank as you move it around.

bottom line, is this is probably going to take all day. plan ahead, and make some space in the new place so that you can set up some stuff right away. start early and leave yourself a lot of extra time so you dont rush the process.

good luck, and have a search around the site, there are a few people that have documented their moves pretty well, and you can probably learn something from their experiences and mistakes.

~mike
Coralife Lunar Aqualight (4x65W),
60 LB Hirocks Base Rock, 40 LB LR 50/50 Keys/Gulf
150 LB Playsand (~3-4 in DSB)
2 x Blood Red Fire Shrimp, 2 x Cleaner Shrimp
2 x Black and White Percula Clown, 1 x Orange Spotted Blenny, 1 x Red Stripe High Fin Goby
mp3z24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 04:21 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

are you moving the 65 gallon that's in your profile? If so I would strongly reccomend completely emptying the tank before moving. The seams on modern aquariums are not designed to handle uneven forces. A leak, or worse yet a break, can easily occur if you are moving the tank with water/sand still in the bottom.

We have an article here written that gives some step by step instructions for moving a FW tank. many of the steps are the same, other than you should take a few extra steps for moving corals/anenomes etc.

You might want to give the article a read, it can be found here:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showqu...q=2&fldAuto=28
Old 11-01-2005, 11:28 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via Yahoo to army6192plt
yes i am moving the tank shown in my profile. I am only moving 2-3 miles the tank i have is an all glass aquariums 65 gal with stand

Tags
moving, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com