Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-24-2011, 04:05 AM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt_Nelson View Post
Looks like we were posting at the same time!

I'm getting a bit lost. Not sure if I'm seeing extra periods in your typing or a decimal point. I *really* don't think you're getting a reading of less than 0.0

Are you saying 014, like fourteen?
Im with you, the lowest my TDS meter goes is 1ppm and I think that is pretty standard. I havent heard of readings less than 1ppm but more than 0ppm.
If it is really "0.044ppm," I don't think there is anything to worry about... in regards to having too high of TDS that is.
Cichlidmania- Can you show us a link of what you are using to test TDS?

Old 01-24-2011, 08:08 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Ya there's no period on my meter I just thought there was. Ill post a pic of my meter. But does anyone know how to clean this thing out. Atleast the odor?

Old 01-24-2011, 08:12 PM   #13

Here they are
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20110124_160916.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	27356   Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20110124_161057.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	27357  

Old 01-24-2011, 08:25 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

As far as reading the meter, you're correct - no decimal point. If it reads "044", then that's 44 ppm.

From your earlier post with the TDS readings at different stages, it definitely sounds like something is being picked up by the water from your barrel. One thing that concerns me is that you said it's "food grade", but you picked it up at a feed store. Is it truly FDA "food grade", meaning approved for contact with human food? Or is it just "good enough" for use around animal feed?

Reason I ask is that in the past, I read somewhere on a forum (not here) about someone using a feeding trough to store water. Long story short, something leached into the water from the trough that killed a bunch of livestock. The general consensus was that whatever was used as a mold release in the manufacture of the plastic trough, tainted the water.

If you cleaned it with bleach and soaked it with dechlorinator, I don't know of any better way to clean it. It's going to be more thorough than a vinegar bath. But I'd be concerned if it still has some type of odor even after the bleach bath.
Old 01-24-2011, 08:33 PM   #15

Well thank you for helping. Ya it is blue and blue stands for food grade. I guess that's why the horse food barrels are brown and a different style. These barrels are for food liquid. That's why it smells like kool aid. But I'm going to bleach it one more time and dechlorniated. Thanks again. All I can do is keep trying to clean it and check my readings
Old 01-24-2011, 11:12 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by cichlidmania26 View Post
Well thank you for helping. Ya it is blue and blue stands for food grade. I guess that's why the horse food barrels are brown and a different style. These barrels are for food liquid. That's why it smells like kool aid. But I'm going to bleach it one more time and dechlorniated. Thanks again. All I can do is keep trying to clean it and check my readings
Blue doesn't stand for food grade, I know this for a fact because I work at a chemical plant and we get in blue drums that is not food grade. But try using IPA(rubbing alcohol) thats what we use to clean our mixing tank at work. Or we just blast it with very hot water, I mean hot.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:14 PM   #17

Ya I thought I wrote I guess. But ya thanks man ill try that
Old 01-26-2011, 06:30 PM   #18

Well guys its not working. I filled the 55 gallon barrel with scalding hot water added half a gallon and a gallon of apple cider. Than I ran the pump in there cycling the water for four hours. Than I drained it and rinsed it out a bunch of times. Than filled it back up add like a cup of dechlorinator and let that sit over night. Than I drained it and it stills smells like kool aid. The only thing I havnt done is fill it up with ro di water and test it with the tds meter and see if it will stay clean... any ideas. Havnt tired baking soda.
Old 01-26-2011, 06:31 PM   #19

Dangit I meant to say I added a half gallon of bleach
Old 01-26-2011, 06:34 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

Buy a rubbermaid container

***Pics now on profile***
rush is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ro water, weir

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com