Help my sand please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MadManMac

Aquarium Advice Freak
I need some help "ReActivating" my sand. I have a 175 with about 300 LBS of rock and 250 LBS of sand. It has been up for two years and the little critters have all but disappeared! I used to see tons of little shirmp and worms all over the place and now, NOTHING! I do not want to pay a million dollars for bogus Live Sand and I really do not have room for more LR, so any suggestions? TIA

Detrivore kit from inland aquatics or ISPF should do the trick. So too would grabbing a cup or two of sand from a local reefer.

I would love to get some sand from another reefer, but I do not know any and I am a little afraid of what might come with it in the way of medications or parasites. I guess I could get that from anywhere, I will look into finding some people locally.

The Dallas Ft Worth saltwater aquarium club has a great reputation and some solid members. They are hosting an event in January with Bob Fenner, Anthony Calfo, Julian Sprung and others.

Sounds like a great event to attend and make some new friends.

The Garf Grunge has a up/down reputation. Some people swear by it, others swear at it. There is too much variability in what you get. The two sites I mentioned at least give you quantities. I was more impressed with the IA kit than the ISPF as far as value for the money. I did get a kit last year on eBay from a guy in Philly, but I don't see him around anymore. Too bad too because his had the most life.

Back
Top Bottom