Help!!my water is green!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dvsfx

Aquarium Advice Activist
ok so about 2-3 weeks ago while I was away house sitting, I left my brother to look after my aquarium . when i came home the whole tank was this flourescent ninja turtle green:facepalm:. It is a fairly new set-up I moved everything from my 10gallon into a 40. I asked a guy at the lfs and he simply said it was my lights because i had them on for 10hours a day from the start when i should have gradually brought them there. All my fish are still alive and actully look healthy when i do manage to get a glimps of them. any solutions its really an eye-sore:confused: , thanks all.

I had this situation for a bit too. What I did was cut down on the feeding and covered the tank for 3 days without any light. The algae should die off.

ok, did you feed during those days without light? and when you put them back on did u resume you prior lighting schedule or did u cut back ? thanks

It's just "green water", a water column microalgae. I never had any luck covering the tank or doing water changes, but a UV sterilizer will correct it. Shame to purchase one to use for just a couple days though. if covering the tank doesn't work, you might look for a used one.
It's not because you had the lights on for 10 hours though.

microalgae hmmm, so is it actully more benaficial then a nuisance? i've read some people actully aim to have there tank a little green. ill try both techniques i did do a pretty large water change recently and noticed i could actully now see a vague blaackness were my LR should be lol. Ill give both techniques a whirl and see what happens thanks guys! Oh and since my tank has been green ive noticed alot of these things sticking to my glass there kinda transparent, circular and have lil tenticles coming off of them that sway in the current ive seen a few detach and swim around and reattach somewhere else kinda reminded me of a jellyfish minus the fact they seem to like being stuck to the glass. any ideas?

No. It's not beneficial. It's a nuisance.
As far as the swimming "jellyfish", without a picture it's difficult, but It could possibly be a swimming anemone, called Boloceroides. I've seen them in brown, but I'm reading the young ones can be transparent. How did it swim? Did it just float away or did it have a strange swimming pattern?

yes it sort of had a strange swiming pattern , i was examining one at night with a flashlight and it had a swift rapid movement. Never all at once it would move, stop, move, stop, move, stop, and so fourth kinda like it was tiring itself out.

Back
Top Bottom