Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-21-2012, 08:56 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Help!!my water is green!

ok so about 2-3 weeks ago while I was away house sitting, I left my brother to look after my aquarium . when i came home the whole tank was this flourescent ninja turtle green. It is a fairly new set-up I moved everything from my 10gallon into a 40. I asked a guy at the lfs and he simply said it was my lights because i had them on for 10hours a day from the start when i should have gradually brought them there. All my fish are still alive and actully look healthy when i do manage to get a glimps of them. any solutions its really an eye-sore , thanks all.

Old 05-21-2012, 08:57 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to Cornstar Send a message via Skype™ to Cornstar
I had this situation for a bit too. What I did was cut down on the feeding and covered the tank for 3 days without any light. The algae should die off.

Old 05-21-2012, 09:01 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

ok, did you feed during those days without light? and when you put them back on did u resume you prior lighting schedule or did u cut back ? thanks
Old 05-21-2012, 09:03 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
It's just "green water", a water column microalgae. I never had any luck covering the tank or doing water changes, but a UV sterilizer will correct it. Shame to purchase one to use for just a couple days though. if covering the tank doesn't work, you might look for a used one.
It's not because you had the lights on for 10 hours though.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:14 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

microalgae hmmm, so is it actully more benaficial then a nuisance? i've read some people actully aim to have there tank a little green. ill try both techniques i did do a pretty large water change recently and noticed i could actully now see a vague blaackness were my LR should be lol. Ill give both techniques a whirl and see what happens thanks guys! Oh and since my tank has been green ive noticed alot of these things sticking to my glass there kinda transparent, circular and have lil tenticles coming off of them that sway in the current ive seen a few detach and swim around and reattach somewhere else kinda reminded me of a jellyfish minus the fact they seem to like being stuck to the glass. any ideas?
Old 05-21-2012, 10:01 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
No. It's not beneficial. It's a nuisance.
As far as the swimming "jellyfish", without a picture it's difficult, but It could possibly be a swimming anemone, called Boloceroides. I've seen them in brown, but I'm reading the young ones can be transparent. How did it swim? Did it just float away or did it have a strange swimming pattern?
Old 05-21-2012, 10:12 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

yes it sort of had a strange swiming pattern , i was examining one at night with a flashlight and it had a swift rapid movement. Never all at once it would move, stop, move, stop, move, stop, and so fourth kinda like it was tiring itself out.

Tags
green, water

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com