Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-10-2010, 11:40 AM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

Can you take and post some pictures. Put the photos on something like photbucket, grab the "direct link" url. Then when you reply, click on the yellow picture icon and past the url for the direct link. Your photo will appear in the reply. You can add up to 8 photo's in a message.

Post some photo's of the tank the sump system, protein skimmer, outlet at the top of the tank and the overflow.

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 03:46 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Hope it comes through okay. Wasn't able to upload the pictures directly, but hopefully the link works. Thanks for all the help! I'm coming to the harsh/exciting reality that I need to just sub in a bigger pump on the bottom and a powerhead or two in the tank itself. Any comments are appreciated!

Thanks!

http://s822.photobucket.com/albums/z...7598/Aquarium/

Old 04-11-2010, 12:52 PM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

I'll help you out here with the photos. When you hover over a photo in an album you get the change to copy a link as Email and IM; Direct Link; HTML code or IMG code. I copied the Direct Link code then clicked on the Insert Image button above the Quick Reply area. I then pasted the direct link in and hit enter.

I scrolled to the bottom, pressed the 'end' key on my keyboard, then the enter key twice. Typed this, now I'll enter the code for the 2nd photo in that album.

Next photo

and 4th

and final
Old 04-11-2010, 01:05 PM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

OK, It looks like you have a nice FO set up going. Are you planning to stay that way or are you planning on adding LR and/or going reef eventually?

So yes, you need more flow in the tank. A larger pump will be part of it and few small power heads will give you some additional circualtion in the tank. You don't realy need much with a FO set up.

Is your drain water being partially spilt off to a chiller?
I see a garden hose that appers to be going to the sump. What is that used for?
Are you not using RO or RODI water for mixing PWC and top off water?
Old 04-11-2010, 01:32 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thanks for the photo help! For now I'd like to do FO until I get my feet wet and have a few mishaps that I learn how to deal with before going to LR. The chiller is hooked up in series after the pump, which I'm sure is contributing to the decreased flow along with the large vertical head. Not sure if the chiller is functioning properly, since I'm not seeing that I can dial in a desired temperature, it's just looking like it's reading the temperature of the water. Water quality here is pretty good, so I'm guessing the hose was installed to top off the tank as water evaporated. I'm able to get free filtered saltwater from our local aquarium, so I haven't had to mix too much for my water changes. Despite this, would you recommend picking up a filter for the top-offs?

Do you have a preference on pump makes of the ones you listed earlier? I know the more the better, but I'm wondering if I'll need more from the pump than 5 turnovers per hour if I'm wanting to do LR in the future (so should I buy a larger one now). If I interpret the overflow calculator correctly, I can accommodate ~600 gallons per hour (~6.5 turnovers/hour), but I was hoping to be more conservative at ~500 gallons per hour (~5 turnovers/hour).

Thanks so much! Your comments and this website has really steepened my learning curve!
Old 04-11-2010, 05:35 PM   #16
AA Team Emeritus

I was in your shoes 6 years ago, so I couldn't agree more about the help you get here.

I don't run a chiller but I thought they ran independantly of the sump return pump. The one I have seen pump water from the sump through the chiller and back to the sump. I guess you could run it inline and and just pump the cooled water back to the tank. That would mean that the intake to the chiller would be inthe last compartment of the sump. I don't think that's the way yours is connected.

There are many quality pumps so I don't have a preference. I have a BlueLine, but it uses the same PanX pump that others use. Little Giant, Gen-X, Danner Mag Drive, Iwaki... The list goes on. Sizing is the most important. You do not want to exceed your overflow rating. You want to get to about 600gph at 16' HH. That's your design goal. If you find a pump that goes over you can use a ball valve and T it to a submerged spraybar for additional internal flow or one or more outlets makig a closed loop system.

For Power Heads I like the new Koralia line. Tunze are great but very expensive as are the new Vortech line. I also really like the MaxiJet line as we all did till the Korlias came out. I still have 2 MJ1200's but with the mod kit to kive them more power and a wider flow. Like so much in this industry there is no BEST, at least not for long. There are usually a few very good models, some that are just OK, and some that you should stay away. RIO pumps used to be in the latter category. I don't know if their quality has improved, but I see they have all new lines out now.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

Tags
marine, sting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com