Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-05-2004, 04:39 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Help old castle sand / not recommended for aquariums on bag

i got some info from this site and was told that old castle or southdown sand is ok
so i went out to home depot and bought some, got home and the bag says

not reccomended for traction or aquariums
is this sand ok or should i not use it
HELP

thanks

Old 02-05-2004, 05:00 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

I think that is just southdown's way of covering their butts. I know a lot of people who have used southdown with no ill effects. It's aragonite sand... same as the bagged dry sand most LFS carry.

"Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are a good person is a little like expecting the bull not to attack you because you are a vegetarian." - Dennis Wholey
kreach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 05:25 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

should i rinse it ?
some say rinse some don't
Old 02-05-2004, 05:25 PM   #4

They have to put that on the bag because the supplier of the sand is the supplier of CaribSea Aragonite....One is for Garden or Sandbox use, and the other is for Aquarium Use... Comes from the same source, yet different policies have to be in effect so that unaware people still buy CaribSea Aragonite at $30.00 a bag as opposed to $6.00 a bag... It is the same thing and it is safe for your aquarium....
Old 02-05-2004, 05:26 PM   #5

No rinse
Old 02-05-2004, 05:30 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

thanks that helps alot
but i did take a little out of the bag and rinsed some to see and well the water is awfully white and yuky
Old 02-05-2004, 05:33 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Is this for a new tank or for increasing the sand bed in an established tank?

"Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are a good person is a little like expecting the bull not to attack you because you are a vegetarian." - Dennis Wholey
Old 02-05-2004, 05:40 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

new tank 29 gallon
Old 02-05-2004, 05:43 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

In that case, I agree... just put it into your tank. There will be some cloudiness, but it will settle in a few days.

Old 02-05-2004, 06:30 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to Bang Guy
Just an opinion but I like to 'cure' any new sand that I put in my tank. This greatly reduces the time it takes to settle and it reduces the risk of the new sand causing a precipitation event.

This is the situation:

When Calcium is supersaturated like it in is a reef tank all that is needed is a small crystal of Calcium carbonate and the Calcium will bond with Carbonate to grow the crystal.

The only thing stopping this reaction in our tanks is Magnesium. When Magnesium bonds onto the growing Calcium carbonate crystal Calcium is blocked from using the crystal to precipitate onto. This Magnesium is permanently removed from the water column and the Magnesium level is dropped by one molecule. The Mg drop caused by Mg coating a single grain of sand is insignificant.

Adding a handful of sand can actually produce a measureable drop in Mg and Ca depending on the tank volume.

A whole bag of fine grained dry aragonite dust can theoretically drop the Mg level below the saturation level. If this happens then there's nothing that will stop the Calcium carbonate crystals from growing until the Calcium level drops below saturation levels.

It's the final precipitation of Calcium carbonate that can form a cement like coating on tank walls, rocks, etc. During this process PH will drop rapidly, Ca, ALK and Magnesium will drop to useless levels.

Because of this, I strongly encourage growing a coating of bacteria over the sand grains before adding it to an established aquarium.

This precipitation event doesn't always happen but the risk is high.

my suggestion:
Add 3 gallons of tank water to a 5 or 6 gallon bucket (old salt bucket). Slowly add 25 pounds of sand and sprinkle some flake food in it. After a week add the sand to the tank.

This doesn't eliminate the cloud, but it adds a bacterial coat to most of the sand grains. This lets the dust settle much faster and it reduces the calcium precipitation that happens when you add dry aragonite to the tank. If you need to add more sand either get more buckets or just repeat the process.

Add no more than 1/2" of sand to a live sand bed a week.

Good luck!

Tags
bag, sand

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com