Help on corals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Reefman97

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello, I've been trying to keep corals for awhile ad have not been successful. I just recently bought a waving hand ad a medium sized mushroom. They didn't even have a chance. They deteriorated so fast.

Temp- 78
Ammonia- 0
Nitrite- 0
Nitrate- 10
Salinity- 1.023
Phosphate - 0
Magnesium- 820
Calcium- 190
Alkalinity- dkh 11.2

Any help would be great!

What is your lighting if mushrooms melted do fast toy probably gave touch or too little light every coral needs to gay scouts ones to the lighting you can't just place it where you want. Especially mushrooms you want to put the at the bottom of the tank in a shady area and then slowly move the up

Lighting is 3w Cree 60 watt LED, I did put it on the bottom o the tank will low flow or very little.

Lighting is 3w Cree 60 watt LED, I did put it on the bottom o the tank will low flow or very little.

What size tank is it Iam not an expert at led but a good rule I heard was 2-3 watts per gallon for softies and 3-4 for hardies or sps. I have a 94w metal halide and my mushrooms that aren't attached to rock race to find a crevice or a shady/ dark place under a rock when lights come on

What size tank is it Iam not an expert at led but a good rule I heard was 2-3 watts per gallon for softies and 3-4 for hardies or sps. I have a 94w metal halide and my mushrooms that aren't attached to rock race to find a crevice or a shady/ dark place under a rock when lights come on

There 3 watt per led

The next thing too figure out is what salt are you using , how long was the tank setup, and what size tank is it

Not to sure if this is the solution or not but 190 for calcium is very very low. Most reef tanks im pretty sure are between 425-480 calcium

What tests are you using? The calcium you listed doesn't make sense compared to your alk. Just too low.
The issue isn't lighting unless you are shocking them by not acclimating them to the very powerful led lighting. LEDs are strong enough to burn and kill corals if this isn't done, and since soft corals are a lower light coral I would want to lean towards that with the information you provided.

Calcium and mag look pretty low. I would look into getting a different salt mix if that is all you are getting from it. Lighting does not look to be intense enough. JMO

What tests are you using? The calcium you listed doesn't make sense compared to your alk. Just too low.
The issue isn't lighting unless you are shocking them by not acclimating them to the very powerful led lighting. LEDs are strong enough to burn and kill corals if this isn't done, and since soft corals are a lower light coral I would want to lean towards that with the information you provided.

For the alk. Ca. And mag I use Red Sea reef pro kit test kit. And the basics like ammonia and phosphates etc, I use nutrafin and hagon kits. And I dim the lights when introducing new species.

Calcium and mag look pretty low. I would look into getting a different salt mix if that is all you are getting from it. Lighting does not look to be intense enough. JMO

I've been using instant ocean. And the lights are plenty believe me.

Back
Top Bottom