Help on maxima clam

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

butterflyx8i8x

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
image-1305576876.jpg

I just bought a 1 1/2 inch to 2 inch maxima clam. It's been in the tank for 5 days now. I would like to know if the picture I attach looks like if it's in good health and if it suppose to open up more? How long will it attach to my rock? And what is these white stuff like a film floating on the bottom of the clam?
I'm running zetlight qmaven LED Lights

PH 8.2
ALK 8 dkH
Cal 450
Mag 1200
Nitrite 0
Nitrite 0
Salinity 1.025
ammonia 0

I have never owned a clam yet but I believe they need to be in the sand bed and I have heard that the small ones are not that easy to take care of compared to the larger ones.

The reason why people leave them on the sand bed is so they don't get knocked off the rocks and end up dying.

I was doing some research and they said maxima clams need to be on rocks. They are rock clams.

They are supposed to be on rocks. They will actually secrete a substance to dissolve the rocks around them to better anchor themselves in. It's okay to place them on the substrate though.

It had close a little since last night. It's still responsive when I do sudden movement or when my fishes go across it.

I've notice there like a white film floating around the bottom when I lift it up. What is that? Is that normal?

I would assume that this is film from the foot. This can be a sign of stress from transport/acclimation. If it is more like a mucus, I'd be worried about something like a worm or internal parasite.

Back
Top Bottom