Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-07-2011, 06:45 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Good chance you got 2 males then all they are doing is seeing whose gonna where the pants in the female usually the larger of the 2 becomes the female when I buy clowns out of a group like that I usually try to get the biggest one in there giving me a better chance of getting the female

Old 09-08-2011, 01:54 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

Don't worrie. All clowns are born males and the larger one turns into a female. She is showing the other one, she is the boss. That is how my clowns acted for many months. Now that there almost full grown, I never see them fight. But I can tell the clown I had attack the other turned into the female. She is bigger. There a great pair, and never fight anymore. In fact when I spot feed corals they nip/bite me. It's not alot to hurt, but unexpected. They think they own the tank. Lol

Old 09-08-2011, 01:57 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

O and when I got them they were the same size.
Old 09-08-2011, 02:59 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

pistol shrimp will kill other shrimp in the tank. where do you think they got there name from... they dont shoot dead shrimp or sinking pellets. Also my clowns do this a little still just the smaller one shakes on his side though as a sign of "submission" to the larger. You should expect only one to do this shaking after a while while the other one slowly gets larger than the shaker(male)
Old 09-08-2011, 10:17 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Well the smaller one is still cowering in the front left corner behind a rock. He has been there all day. He hasn't been shaking as such today although the other one has been shaking at him. It's getting difficult for the one being bullied to eat as every time I feed them the bully clown is more bothered about ensuring the other fish stays in his corner and therefore neither of them are eating as much as usual.
Old 09-08-2011, 10:19 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hinds04 View Post
pistol shrimp will kill other shrimp in the tank. where do you think they got there name from... they dont shoot dead shrimp or sinking pellets.
Are you saying pistol shrimp are a bad idea? Can you advise of a shrimp that will be a good addition to a CUC with hermits and turbo snails as I would like to add CUC this weekend to keep algae down.

Thanks
Old 09-08-2011, 10:27 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

My personal experience with pistol shrimp hasn't been very good. I would go for some cleaner shrimp or some peppermints. They don't eat algae though, just leftover food, shrimp are scavengers.

Just my opinion though, I believe my pistol killed off all my other shrimp. :-(
Old 09-08-2011, 10:36 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey View Post
My personal experience with pistol shrimp hasn't been very good. I would go for some cleaner shrimp or some peppermints. They don't eat algae though, just leftover food, shrimp are scavengers.

Just my opinion though, I believe my pistol killed off all my other shrimp. :-(
Sorry to hear that
What would you recommend is good for eating algae? i have bought some rowaphos so hopefully that will take phosphate out of the water and prevent more algae growth, also I have cut down the amount of time I leave my aquarium lights on. I just need a CUC that will tackle the little bit of algae growing on my LR and the tiny bit that keeps coming onto my glass.

Thanks
Old 09-08-2011, 10:38 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Youre best bet for that is either snails or hermits. Do you use tap water or ro/di water? That has a huge effect on algae as well.
Old 09-08-2011, 10:50 AM   #20

I buy my SW ready mixed from my LFS. I think they use RO water to make the SW. Random question but....I'm going to buy some RO water to store at my home to top off my tank when water evaporates. Would it be OK to store the RO water in used water drinking bottles with the lid on ready to use for topping off the tank? And how long do you think I would be safe to store the RO water?

Tags
clown, clown fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com