HELP PLEASE! Tank crashing!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rosseg

Aquarium Advice Activist
Trying very hard not to panic- been struggling with sick cup coral for a few weeks, everything else ok, yesterday came down to find my [moderator edit]powerhead had fallen and blown sand and crap all over one side of the tank, burying some corals and almost completely covering my cup. Idid the best I could to clean it up....

Last edited by a moderator:
But now more flesh is gone from the cup and I think it has brown jelly. My flame angel had white stuff on him which I thought was just debris and I'm now worried is ich. My torch coral hasn't come out since, and now I'm seeing some algae stuff on my galaxea, AND black tissue on one of my candy canes, which is always out and happy. Very overwhelmed I don't want everything to die please help!!

Ok the covered corals can recover. If the cup is dying it has a slim to no chance of recovery. They are known for it. Dependig on it's contition, toss it. Clean off the corals as best you can and let them recover. And do a PWC for good measure.

Crashing? I wouldnt say so! Just going through a rough patch! Try not to worry. It will be fine!:)

Edit: i read 2nd post. If its brown jelly, get the affected part out asap. The other corals should be fine. What are they mad about? The powerhead? I dont think thats a couse for death but i dont know the whole situation.

For the angel you can try not to stress him and feed foods soaked it garlic, or you can move him to QT and treat with copper. Your choice, but make sure it isnt just sand on him:)

You don't think the brown jelly has spread to the other LPS? And possible ich on the flame angel?

I would guess that the sandbed stired up has caused an ammonis spike. What do your water test results say. I would do some every other day PWC`s. I would make them about 25%.

That makes a lot of sense about the ammo spike. I did a big change yesterday, ill do another today- cup coral not salvageable tho? I don't know how to catch the angel to see if its just soot or not. And I don't have a QT tank. Think the other LPS could be starting to die from brown jelly too?

Rosseg said:
That makes a lot of sense about the ammo spike. I did a big change yesterday, ill do another today- cup coral not salvageable tho? I don't know how to catch the angel to see if its just soot or not. And I don't have a QT tank. Think the other LPS could be starting to die from brown jelly too?

The best chance your coral have at survival of there was an ammo spike is clean water. If possible- do a coral dip to help remove brown jelly (you will have to remove it to save what's left of the coral if possible to be saved) and keep up on water changes until your parameters are back to normal.

Do you think a LPS need to be dipped or just the cup coral?

Bit of an update- two water changes later and my ammonia is down to 0, and I cut a lot of my diseased cup coral away. It still doesn't look great, and my torch still hasn't emerged yet tho. Any advice?

Rosseg said:
Do you think a LPS need to be dipped or just the cup coral?

Whichever you think needs it. I also spot feed using Brightwell RESTOR to bring back corals that look rough

Back
Top Bottom