Help please with feeding schedule

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crister13

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok, I have a 150g with black edge moray eel, honeycomb grouper, orbiculate batfish, Niger trigger, yellow tang, and a Caribbean spiny lobster. I feed every other day. I feed 2 whole shrimp (one to eel, half to grouper and half to batfish) then I put a 1"x1" piece of homemade food in the tank. Also I feed 2 sheets nori on the off days. Is this too much???? Please respond my nitrates are VERY high!!!!!!!

Does anyone know about this? My nitrates are very very high and I really need to get them down.

crister13 said:
Does anyone know about this? My nitrates are very very high and I really need to get them down.

Does it all get eaten every time? If not your probably over feeding. If large amounts/bits regularly go uneaten then that can likely be a problem.

You have fish i dont have experience with so i cant say for sure.

Yes they definitely eat all of the shrimp and seem to eat all of the homemade food. Just seems like kind of a lot. Should I try reducing? If so to how much?

crister13 said:
Yes they definitely eat all of the shrimp and seem to eat all of the homemade food. Just seems like kind of a lot. Should I try reducing? If so to how much?

Im not entirely sure but i would do about half that. 2 shrimp every other day plus 1" cube just seems excessive. I could totally be wrong though. Hopefully someone else with similar fish and tank size can chime in.

How about I try that for a couple weeks and if it doesn't work slowly go up until everything looks good?

crister13 said:
How about I try that for a couple weeks and if it doesn't work slowly go up until everything looks good?

Yeah. Possibly i been doing some reading about your eel and grouper and see many people only feed them 2-3 times a week.

Silversides and squid seem to be the popular diet. Maybe just read up on what others are doing.

Ok. I'll give the eel silversides and the grouper shrimp. Should I just feed the whole tank every 3 days? That's 2x a week. I'll feed the same amount just every 3 instead of 2. That sound good?

crister13 said:
Ok. I'll give the eel silversides and the grouper shrimp. Should I just feed the whole tank every 3 days? That's 2x a week. I'll feed the same amount just every 3 instead of 2. That sound good?

Well your other fish will probably need more frequent than twice a week. I would only feed your eel and grouper twice a week since the constitute the largest bioload and the most food. Also your batfish would probably enjoy that frozen cube just as much.

So if you could cut it down to 2 shrimp a week instead of 6 then i think that would help tremendously. That eel will let you know hea hungry lol. Just careful so he stays fed and doesn't become aggressive towards your other fish.

Hope that helps man.

2 shrimp a week..... How should I do that? The eel eats more than the grouper...... Should I feed them once a week????? And the other fish every other day??? Should I give the eel 1.5 shrimp a week and the grouper a half shrimp every week? Or should I feed 3 shrimp a week 2 for the eel and 1 for te grouper?

crister13 said:
2 shrimp a week..... How should I do that? The eel eats more than the grouper...... Should I feed them once a week????? And the other fish every other day??? Should I give the eel 1.5 shrimp a week and the grouper a half shrimp every week? Or should I feed 3 shrimp a week 2 for the eel and 1 for te grouper?

Twice a week. 1 shrimp per feeding 3/4 to eel, 1/4 to grouper. Batfish should be fine with mysis or whatever froZen your feeding. Also change it up between silversides and the shrimp.

Even 3 shrimp a week would be better then 6. And i think the amount of shrimp is the biggest problem.

Nori and the frozen every day alternating should be fine.

Ok. So final feeding schedule. A little less than 1 sq inch of frozen every other day and on the off days 2 nori sheets. Every 3rd day 1 shrimp or 1 silverside alternating. Sound good?

crister13 said:
Ok. So final feeding schedule. A little less than 1 sq inch of frozen every other day and on the off days 2 nori sheets. Every 3rd day 1 shrimp or 1 silverside alternating. Sound good?

Sounds good however with silversides i would think 2-3 would be ok. Much smaller than shrimp. But yeah that sound like a good starting point, up it if you have problems but i dont think you will.

The silversides I have are 3-4" long. They are thinner......... But seem longer... I'll stick with that schedule. Thanks for the help!!!!!!!

crister13 said:
The silversides I have are 3-4" long. They are thinner......... But seem longer... I'll stick with that schedule. Thanks for the help!!!!!!!

Ok yeah depends on size. No problem

Back
Top Bottom