Help pls Condy nem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kevinalewis

Aquarium Advice Regular
Wife bought me a Condy nem tonight and from what I've read there not the best for reef. She thought that the clowns would possible host it. I wanted a rbt nem. She was only trying to b nice and u don't want to hurt her feelings so I'm going to put it into tank. I have 20+ red leg hermits in my tank. My question- will the hermits most likely eat the nem? If it starts to die how will I know before it pollutes my tank? Thanks everyone. Kevin

Hermits should leave it alone. Think of it like this, a trial to see if your tank is ready for nems. You will know it is dying when it starts to shrivel up and look like garbage.

Why not take the condy back to the lfs and get a rbta? I'm sure your wife won't be too offended. :)

I took it back Friday. I gave it to the lfs by my work. They always hook me up. Will be getting rbta next weekend if premium aquatics has one. I'm not going to pay 90 for one. That's what the lfs sell them for around me.

Kevinalewis said:
I took it back Friday. I gave it to the lfs by my work. They always hook me up. Will be getting rbta next weekend if premium aquatics has one. I'm not going to pay 90 for one. That's what the lfs sell them for around me.

How long has your tank been up and running.To even have a chance with an anemone you need an established tank of at least a year and constant perfect water conditions.
Especially spending $90.00 on a RBTA for it to live a short period would be a bummer.
Others will disagree,but anemones very rarely survive long in home aquariums.A few are fortunate to get a year or even two survival rate at best.

Tanks 5 yrs old. Moved it once back in June where 80% water was removed and it was set back up and filled within an hour of new location. I'm not afraid of trying one, but do agree I would suck if it died.

Kevinalewis said:
Tanks 5 yrs old. Moved it once back in June where 80% water was removed and it was set back up and filled within an hour of new location. I'm not afraid of trying one, but do agree I would suck if it died.

Good luck to you.I found when I had mine I spent more time worrying about it dying and polluting the tank,than enjoying it.
But the main reason I traded mine was that my wife didn't like the clowns hanging with it and not swimming around the tank.So had no choice.LOL

If an anemone dies, it's not just going to kick the bucket just like that. it will shrivel up and waste away. you won't just wake up one morning and the tank be nuked.
That said, why is a condy so bad for a reef? I wouldn't think it's any worse than a bubble tip.

I know as with any nem they will move around until they find their place. I read that red hermit crabs will eat the condy, and that false percs won't host with them. I just didn't want to take a chance with it. I'll wait until next payday to get the nem I want :). I'd rather not worry bout the condy nem being in my tank.

It's never a sure thing a clown will host any anemone.
I have two RBT in my tank and the most my Clarkiis will do is swim by them.
Here's my Mated Clarkii pair spawning beside my Condy anemone.

Attachments

• 2011-12-23 17.42.49.jpg
    2011-12-23 17.42.49.jpg
    213.5 KB · Views: 68
Back
Top Bottom