Help plz! Mushrooms closed and another one turning clear.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrvincent

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi,

I've got two mushroom, a blue and a brown. I have them since 1 month... For the first week there were looking happy. But now they're closed since three weeks, and the brown one is turning clear. Params are ok, all my zoas, frogspawn and hammer and birdsnest SPS seems happy...

The blue one (flash)
441166DSC04813.jpg

700540DSC04816.jpg

This one turning clear
728866DSC04817.jpg

The overall aquarium
281448DSC04818.jpg

I put them in a low flow corner with low light since 1 week, near a duncan that is looking happy. Any ideas ?

Define what you mean by okay parameters. Also, what test are you using?

Softies will usually show the first signs of problems with parameters.

Define what you mean by okay parameters. Also, what test are you using?

Softies will usually show the first signs of problems with parameters.

Last tests gave me;

RedSea
Ca: 450ppm
Mg: 1250ppm
Kh: 8.4°dKH

API
NH3: 0
NO2: 0
NO3: 0 (this test is cheap, so probably nitrates between 5 or 10ppm)
PO4: 0 this test is cheap too...

Don't think it's nitrates or phosphates, I don't have algae problems... I raised the magnesium recently but and didn't do tests. I added magnesium to the top-off water.

I'm actually doing a water change so I'll have latest readings tomorrow.

Why is you calc and mg swinging so much? Corals thrive on stability and your wc's should give them this, they should not be swinging that much. Are you dosing or did you change salts?

No, my salt was providing 1400ppm magnesium initially, but overtime calcium and magnesium dropped, don't know why. So I dose calcium trying to maintain it, and I raised the mg in the last two weeks. Maybe I dosed it too fast and that would explain my mush closed ?

All my corals including my SPS are fine, it's only the mushs that doesn't look happy...

Where did you buy the mushrooms from? How did you acclimate them? I bought a fair number of mushrooms from reefs2go a while back and they all took a month or more to die off while my other mushrooms were doing amazingly well.

Where did you buy the mushrooms from? How did you acclimate them? I bought a fair number of mushrooms from reefs2go a while back and they all took a month or more to die off while my other mushrooms were doing amazingly well.

Here in quebec we have a shop named "Reef solution" they're specialized in coral and reef aquarium equipement. I bought the brown one in this shop, and I bought the blue mush into another shop.

I bought them, made a iodine dip, then I put them into a corner of the tank so they can acclimate to the light. I tried positioning them into the middle (more light) didn't work, so I put them into the same corner since 2 weeks almost, and they still closed... They were opened the first week in the corner, but now the blue won't open.

I guess they don't like amphipods or maybe blue legged hermit crabs... I have a LOT of amphipods... I tried to take picture of them, but they too tiny. Fortunately, I bought a SLR camera today, the new battery is still charging, I'll have picture to know exactly what are what I call "amphipods" and know if they're harmfull... That's my less guess for the mushs...

No acclimatation to tank water. I usually dip new corals with double dose for 10 mins (with timer). So it would be 0.5ml Seachem Reef Dip with 200ml tank water.

I didn't know we need to acclimate new corals like fishs... But the mush was open on the first week, wouldn't he stay closed for he first week if it was bad new water acclimatation ?

No acclimatation to tank water. I usually dip new corals with double dose for 10 mins (with timer). So it would be 0.5ml Seachem Reef Dip with 200ml tank water.

I didn't know we need to acclimate new corals like fishs... But the mush was open on the first week, wouldn't he stay closed for he first week if it was bad new water acclimatation ?

Corals are actually more sensitive to water changes than fish are.... I would say that is the most likely answer to the problem.

Corals are actually more sensitive to water changes than fish are.... I would say that is the most likely answer to the problem.

So all I have to do is keep them in the corner of the tank and wait they openup ? Or maybe put them in a more light place ?

So all I have to do is keep them in the corner of the tank and wait they openup ? Or maybe put them in a more light place ?

Sorry, I should have said answer to the cause. I'm not sure there's much you can do except for give them good water quality and hope for the best. You could try moving them to different lighting and flow areas but there aren't any guarantees.

Sorry, I should have said answer to the cause. I'm not sure there's much you can do except for give them good water quality and hope for the best. You could try moving them to different lighting and flow areas but there aren't any guarantees.

The guy at the LFS told me to let it sit where he is and wait for 1-2 month until it opens up. (This guy is not a noob), but I like a second advice on AA. Thanks, I hope it open.

I'll try to keep best parameter balance stable...

Back
Top Bottom