Help! Protien skimmer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Make sure your outflow is not being blocked and is open full way. Any back pressure will cause it the water to flow in your cup

I woke up this morning and my protein skimmer is spilling out bubble out of the mouth and filling cup with water in like 5-10 minutes. I have a Seaclone 100, and yes I know they are very finicky and not the greatest skimmer. And I am getting a coral life skimmer soon. But until I get it I need this one to work to hold of till that day.

imo the corallife is not that great of a skimmer ether i had one and it would do the same thing on many occasions i had come down stairs and it was spilling all over the floor. i upgraded to a reef octopus bh2000 and not a problem with it

I presume you do not have a sump since you put the Waste Control chemical in your tank. It is dissolving wastes in your tank rapidly. Than means you need to do a lot of water change to reduce your skimmer load. You can also raise it up as Ivan suggested or just drop the water level down just above the skimmer pump.

Ill try lifting the skimmer up, and for a 72 gallon should I be getting the reef octopus 2000? Isn't there a 1000?

Ill try lifting the skimmer up, and for a 72 gallon should I be getting the reef octopus 2000? Isn't there a 1000?
Well your skimmer right now is undersized and overworked. However, the result of overflowing is due to the additive you put in your tank. The skimmer is removing it even before it can take effect. Keep in mind those additives are nutrients or dissolving food faster than normal. You can reduce it also by changing water.

rule of thumb is to get a skimmer rated at double your tank size better to have one over sized then under sizes, and it also goes by bioload the bh2000 is rated at 125 gallons so thats with a light bioload,

Umm, ok well I'm gunna have to do a water change? See what happens, then ill look up this bh2000, hopefully it's not a high price tag :p

Definitely do a water change. I have a coralife skimmer and even though people here give them a bad rap, I've had zero problems with it, and am very happy with it FYI.

Back
Top Bottom