HELP!!! PVC fittings are driving me crazy!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BlueDolphin

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello all. I am in the process of putting my tank together. I have 60 gallon cube tank that has been pre-drilled with the reef ready plumbing. I know what tubes are supposed to connect where, but the PVC male and female fittings that my LFS advised me on purchasing are driving me insane. This is what I have: a 3/4'' x 1/2'' reducing burring that connects to my Mag 5 pump. I then have a 3/4'' female pipe thread x female pipe thread connected to that burring. My vinyl tubing is then supposed to connect to that female pipe, but is way too small to wrap around it. The LFS then said that I could heat up the tubing to stretch it and make it fit.

I also have a 3/4'' male pipe thread x h.b. that connects to a 3/4'' slip x female pipe thread that connects to the pipe going into the tank. Once again I would need to heat the vinyl tubing for this to even come close to fitting around the PVC.

Does this all sound correct, or is there an easier way? It seems to me that the vinyl tubing would fit easier on the male thread than the female... HELP PLEASE!!!! :bawl:

P.S. - I can take pictures of the PVC fittings if this would help.

This is what I do when I have plumbing problems. I gather up my plumbing parts and I take them to my home depot, lowes or menards. Then I just hunt around the plumbing area till I find the combo of adapters and parts to make it do what I want.

There are hose connectors you can get that are kind of tappered and have ridges. YOu then use a hose clamp to secure the hose around this. This would be much easier than trying to jam some hose over a PVC fitting.

Yay! I think that second trip may have done the trick! I found some different fittings and am using the male end to attach the vinyl hosing - it fits so so so much easier! :)

Good deal. Its always good to use a hose clamp around the tubing to make sure it does not pop off.

I'll second that thought. Hose clamps are a must. Even though it might be as tight as a bucket lid now, as the tubing ages it will begin to losen after being stretched over the fitting for so long and if there isn't a clamp to keep it from slipping off you'll have one heck of a mess :?

yep had a mag 24 pop the hose off hehehe guess how high it pumps water???!?!?! lol to the roof :)

That must have been impressive to watch Steve, although probably not so much in your living room!! Another trick with vinyl tubing is to soak the end in hot water for a couple mins.. Usually will soften it up so it slips on no problem..

pennylane911 said:
Does Lowe's really helps you with these stuffs?

Yes they will help you with pretty much anything. It may take a couple of minutes to explain and draw pictures to show them but once they understand they will go out of their way to help you get what you need to finish your project.

To the OP I wouldn't melt/soften the hose to me that just seem like a good idea. You should be able to find these fittings in a range of sizes at lowes or home depot, its what i used to connect my PVC plumbing to the hoses for my filters, hose clamps are a must though just to be safe

Attachments

• image-1460997432.jpg
    image-1460997432.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 73
Back
Top Bottom