Help!!! Red slim

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I grow a lot of SPS, so I have been using a dosing pump to add tiny amounts of Kent Trace Elements to my reef. Seems to promote good coral growth, but have seen a real increase in red algae. I also micro dose 2 part cal/alk to keep those values high in the aquarium. Do you think one or the other has contributed to my increase in red algae? I know MrX isn't fond of trace elements (since you can't really practically test for them), but I thought I would experiment a bit.

That's whey I was using purple up for my sps green/blue/pink birds nest. But I don't think it's worth the slime

you can't add purple up as a calcium supplement. it doesn't work that way. if you want to add calcium, you can do it by keeping up with weekly water changes. if that's not enough, then you MUST use a 2 part additive. bulk reef supply sells all that stuff and has very informative videos about dosing also.

that said, i think you'll be fine just doing water changes.
adding purple up randomly, is definitely fueling algae, and possibly doing harm to the corals by lowering the alkalinity.

Thank you mr x for the help. Thats why we all come to this forms to get help from people like you. We all started from some were and need help some time. So thank you all for the help and I hope never to see slime ever again in my tank.

Back
Top Bottom