Help!!! Red slim

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Redseamax

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've had this problem for over a mouth now. I feed 2 or 3 times a week, lights are on 6 to 8 hours per day and are 8 weeks old. I do 20% water change ever 2 weeks with ro/di water and I'm using red sea max pro salt but I'm still getting red slim. I've notice that it's mostly on one rock. I suck it out when doing water changes and it still comes back. HELP!!!!

What kind of water circulation do you have going on? Also, if you do weekly water changes you can help get rid of it faster..

Okay so I'll do weekly water changes. But how did I get it in the first place. I always dip my corals and rip my fish

I believe it's an abundance of nutrients and poor water circulation. it can be beaten though, you've already addressed the feeding and lighting aspects. can you aim a powerhead or water flow to that rock that is getting it?

not necessarily. it really doesn't matter if it's in the sump anyway, only the DT matters. it's definitely a nutrient issue, but i don't know how much of a flow issue it is, since i've seen cyanobacteria form on the outputs of power heads. i would be doing weekly water changes and vacuuming it out with each as stated.

That's what I was thinking mr x I've seen it in the powerhead so it can't be flow. I've been getting my ro/di water from a pet store. Could it be that there not changing the membrane of their ro/di filtration system

it's possible. do you have a T.D.S. meter? they are cheap and you can check the water with it to be sure.

I also have been fighting it. Seems to happen in waves over the years. I don't think flow has that much to do with it as I have a hard time keeping my sand in place my flow is so high, but Cyano still grows. It has to be a nutrient issue like MrX stated. Try using Polysorb and increasing the output of your skimmer if possible. You have to suck the nutrients from the water some way or the Cyano will grow. I have heard high magnesium levels can reduce it, but have not tested that yet. Nothing I have found eats this garbage.

What I've been thinking is that I've started using purple up and it started. Then I stopped using it and it would go away then when I used it again it would start again do u think it could be that or am I just consorting things

Redseamax said:
What I've been thinking is that I've started using purple up and it started. Then I stopped using it and it would go away then when I used it again it would start again do u think it could be that or am I just consorting things

Sounds like you just found your answer.

Redseamax said:
But will purple up do that

I can't say for sure,but those type supplements usually cause more problems than actually help.I was going by your own reasoning you stated.

Back
Top Bottom