Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 05-04-2003, 12:51 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

I just bought a RO/DI unit made by air, water & ice, the Typhoon III, with the gooseneck spout and reserve canister and have been fighting with it all day. I finally got the DI chamber to fill with water by bleeding the air out of the hose but now the water is trickling out soooooo slllloooow. I'm getting less than 1/2 cup per minute from the goosneck. I cant see how it will ever fill the canister. If i move the gooseneck up a little higher than the bucket, the water stops flowing. My water pressure is about 41psi. I have sent two e-mail to tech support at Air, Water & Ice, tonight, but i havnt recieved a responce yet. Please help if you can. My wife is goint to flip when she gets home and sees the unit tomorrow. God help me if it aint working.

stresco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2003, 05:11 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
41 psi seems a little low to efficiently run an RO unit...I was thinking you needed more like 80 psi or so to really get them going. I know the amount of wastewater generated will be much higher at the lower pressures. I'd also be surprised if you get any help from the manufacturer before Monday morning. As far as your wife coming home...well...do you prefer a wooden casket or will a metal one do? If she allows you to live, let us know what the manufac tells you.
Logan J

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.
Logan J
loganj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2003, 08:00 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus
Logans right...you need a booster pump. You'll need at least 80-100 psi for a output.

As for the wife...I recommend you disconnect the unit and hide it, until you get the booster pump.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2003, 09:56 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

I'm sure will Gary from airwaterice will respond soon. He's been very prompt with replies to my questions even before I ordered my unit 2 months ago.
I have the same unit. It's rated for 100 gallons/day.
Do the math. That comes out to a little over a cup a minute. Your pressure is below the 50psi recommended minimum and you're getting just under 50% output. The following is directly from the web page for this unit:

"If you have fifty degree water at ( 50 ) p.s.i. expect half the rated production"

My pressure gauge reads between 50 and 60 when it's hooked up. It takes a few hours to make up about 15 gallons of water for my water changes. As I got mine before he included the automatic shutoff I have to remember to keep checking when it get's close to full. If I get distracted I end up with a very clean floor .

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com