HELP! RO/DI

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stresco

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just bought a RO/DI unit made by air, water & ice, the Typhoon III, with the gooseneck spout and reserve canister and have been fighting with it all day. I finally got the DI chamber to fill with water by bleeding the air out of the hose but now the water is trickling out soooooo slllloooow. I'm getting less than 1/2 cup per minute from the goosneck. I cant see how it will ever fill the canister. If i move the gooseneck up a little higher than the bucket, the water stops flowing. My water pressure is about 41psi. I have sent two e-mail to tech support at Air, Water & Ice, tonight, but i havnt recieved a responce yet. Please help if you can. My wife is goint to flip when she gets home and sees the unit tomorrow. God help me if it aint working.

41 psi seems a little low to efficiently run an RO unit...I was thinking you needed more like 80 psi or so to really get them going. I know the amount of wastewater generated will be much higher at the lower pressures. I'd also be surprised if you get any help from the manufacturer before Monday morning. As far as your wife coming home...well...do you prefer a wooden casket or will a metal one do? :twisted: If she allows you to live, let us know what the manufac tells you.
Logan J

Logans right...you need a booster pump. You'll need at least 80-100 psi for a output.

As for the wife...I recommend you disconnect the unit and hide it, until you get the booster pump.

I'm sure will Gary from airwaterice will respond soon. He's been very prompt with replies to my questions even before I ordered my unit 2 months ago.
I have the same unit. It's rated for 100 gallons/day.
Do the math. That comes out to a little over a cup a minute. Your pressure is below the 50psi recommended minimum and you're getting just under 50% output. The following is directly from the web page for this unit:

"If you have fifty degree water at ( 50 ) p.s.i. expect half the rated production"

My pressure gauge reads between 50 and 60 when it's hooked up. It takes a few hours to make up about 15 gallons of water for my water changes. As I got mine before he included the automatic shutoff I have to remember to keep checking when it get's close to full. If I get distracted I end up with a very clean floor :D .

HTH,
Cmor

Back
Top Bottom