Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-18-2003, 10:09 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Help? Rock Anemone

My rock anemone which I've had for about 4 months has some kind of mucas, jelly like substance coming out of him. Is this natural? Is this waste of some kind? I need to what to do here. TIA!

Old 09-18-2003, 11:26 PM   #2
steve-s

What color is the substance? If brown it is most likely expelling wastes.

Cheers
Steve
Old 09-18-2003, 11:52 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

No, it's clear, white.
Old 09-19-2003, 12:11 AM   #4
steve-s

Rock anemone is quite a general term and does refer to a few different species. Do you know the proper name or possibley post a pic? White can sometimes mean it's "inerds".

This kind of behavour is usually from some sort of environmental stress or possible from nutritional problems. Could you provide some additional info about the tank water specs, it's set up and other fish/inverts in the tank as well as how you care for the anemone?

Cheers
Steve
Old 09-19-2003, 01:49 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

OK, I have a 55g, cc substrate w\about 25#'s of LR. I also have a 48" 4x65w light with 2 10,000k and 2 ultra actinic bulbs. For filtration I have a hang on power filter and an Ehiem cannister filter and a protein skimmer and an additional power head. Livestock: Yellow Tang
Engineer Goby
Six line Wrasse
3 Neon Velvet Damsels
Coral Banded Shrimp
Flame Scallop
Sea Apple
Pink Tipped Anemone
Rock Anemone

I have a liquid test kit and my last tests 9-13 were: Ammonia, 0; Nitrite, 0; Ph, 8.2 & Nitrate 40. I know the nitrate is a little high, I'm going to do a water change after I get off work this afternoon. I also have a RO\DI system for water.
The battery for my digital camera is dead so I'll have to charge it up before I could provide a picture. When I looked at it at noon it looked like it had a bristle worm caught in the mucas. I usually feed my anemone's brine shrimp and I also put some phyto in the tank for the scallop and sea apple. Hope this helps with some kind of diagnosis. TIA!
Old 09-19-2003, 07:44 PM   #6
steve-s

So far other than the elevated NO3, there's not much there to go on unless it was a sharp rise. The feedings don't seem all that much but since you feed the tank for the fish it is unneccessary to directly feed the anemone(s). They will catch enough on their own. Does the anemone appear "deflated" or just the odd substance coming from it?I should also have asked before, is the mucus coming from the mouth or elsewhere?

No signs of stress from the other anemone?

The only other problems may be fluctuating temp or salinity. The fish and/or the bristleworm mentioned should not be a concern.

Cheers
Steve

Tags
anemone, rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com