Help: Setup Refugium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The grey hose goes from your overflow that hangs on the rim down to the filter sock connection.

Wow that was easy, i was tryna force it into the top of my aquarium. Thankyou, i got that part done with now.

There should be two parts to the overflow box. On sits on the inside of the tank with the notches in it, the other box is on the outside. Thjis outside box is the one you connect the tube to.

The water comes in to a certain point where the edges of the teeth are and then the plastic J tube looking thing brings the water from the tank box into the back box and down it goes.

hope that helped

Where does this part go? I guess its the j part you were talking about
img_1418945_0_2f1cb22589919f3881a73630fdf2931e.jpg

the nozzle goes into the tank and the tube end connects to the output of your return pump inside your sump

I think i got it, i put the black j thing into my aquarium beside my filter and the clear part into the pump. i put the pump into the middle section.

ok thanks hackteck, so i placed them right. I think its all hooked up now.

Anyone know when i should go out and buy some sand for this and put it in?

I think i got it, i put the black j thing into my aquarium beside my filter and the clear part into the pump. i put the pump into the middle section.

ok thanks hackteck, so i placed them right. I think its all hooked up now.

Anyone know when i should go out and buy some sand for this and put it in?

exactly thats how it goes and about sand your setting up a refuge? you can probably do it now

Ok i will go out and get some sometime this comin up week. Can i go ahead and get the water runnin and place some rocks in the middle with the pump until then? And some macroalgae??

And does this look right? The water lvl in below the clear box with the teeth.. Not much room for it to go down more

Attachments

• image-379956934.jpg
    image-379956934.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 110
  • image-200242529.jpg
    image-200242529.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 114
Does this overflow box and skimmer box with teeth go on the back of my aquarium or on the side of the sump??

Ok now i had the water draining out into the sock and into the first department until it stopped. Now i dont know what to do, i have the pump low in the 2nd department and turned it on the nturned it off cuz it made alot of noise but im guessing i need to fill the 2nd department with water myself??

-You can see the water level in the first department on the very left, its low but thats all it pumped out. So far so good?

-does the Pump need to be moved up some
img_1419073_0_0e63eb83f721e21b55b874fb6e3db5f2.jpg

Someone help me out please i gotta go in a hour and i wanna get this all hooked up.. Am i suppose to fill the 2nd compartment up with water myself??

the pump is placed in the last chamber not in the middle

don't put sand in, the design doesn't alow for it, just put live rock rubble and chaetomorpha

yeah you're adding more volume to the aquarium so if you don't add more water the level in your display tank will drop.

have you read up on how to setup a sump? and the draw back? the pros and cons of using a HOB style over flow?

it doesn't seem like you have and before you make a mess of your house i suggest you read into it

Gti_Leo said:
yeah you're adding more volume to the aquarium so if you don't add more water the level in your display tank will drop.

have you read up on how to setup a sump? and the draw back? the pros and cons of using a HOB style over flow?

it doesn't seem like you have and before you make a mess of your house i suggest you read into it

I have, it can cause a flood if power goes out. I seen alot that have algae floating on top and alot of sand with water all thru it. Imma fill it up halfway in case of power outage. Just didnt know how the setup process goes

you fill up the whole sump and the last chamber is where it should be less, thats where the pump will back syphon and fill up the sump. also if the overflow box loses syphon the pump will still pump and overflow your display tank, its not just when theres a power outage, its also when the return pump isn't pumping fast enough and the overflow sucks in air.

as far as what you should put in it again micro algaes and live rock. the sand will do nothing for you in suck a small fuge

I've had about 4 tanks with overflow boxes and they have never lost syphon but I suppose it could happen in the right conditions

i'm not saying you can't have a problem. things happen if not done right, and my personal opinion is if you're goign to go with an HOB over flow then don't go cheap, go with soemthing that will keep the syphon, liek a CPR with a priming pump so it sucks out the air.

Back
Top Bottom