Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 05-12-2007, 10:53 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
help shark transport

Hello all,

I'm new to the forum and need help. My business partners and mysel have a couple of establishments with saltwater tanks and we are saltwater fanatics. our recent endeavor has really kicked thing up a notch and we are needing some help. We have constructed a seventeen thousand gallon in floor saltwater aquarium with an acrylic top that you can actually walk across. We have invested countless hours and countless thousands of dollars to produce this wonder and we want to stock it with several sizable sharks. The two species that come to mind are the atlantic sharpnose and the blacktip. We are located close to the gulf and these two species can be obtained there. The obvious question is how do you transport a four to five foot shark five hours from the gulf. We have exausted many resources and have not yet determined the best way to achieve this feat. We are true animal lovers and any harm, discomfort or death of these fish would be devastating to all involved we will spare no expense or difficulty in making this happen but are very cautious about what steps we need to take. Anyone with any helpful knowledge please reply Thanks in advance

blscart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 07:15 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist
Have you contacted an aquarium or seaworld as they are transporting sizible animals regularly . Also many universities in the gulf area would have marine biology depts. that may have had experience with transporting larger animals .

kansei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 12:59 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak
interesting article:

55gal FOWLR,
DIY stand and Hood,
AquaC Remora,
Coralife Lunar Aqualight (4x65W),
60 LB Hirocks Base Rock, 40 LB LR 50/50 Keys/Gulf
150 LB Playsand (~3-4 in DSB)
2 x Blood Red Fire Shrimp, 2 x Cleaner Shrimp
2 x Black and White Percula Clown, 1 x Orange Spotted Blenny, 1 x Red Stripe High Fin Goby
mp3z24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 08:30 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak
Wow, seventeen thousand gallon tank. You gotta post some pics of that when you get it up and running, especially with the sharks. Imagine the pwc's you would have to do on that thing!
Squado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 11:11 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic
I would advise against keeping the Black Tip Reef Sharks. They grow rather quickly and become aggressive (far more so in captivity then in the wild). A friend of mine that owns an LFS was keeping these in a large 2,000 gallon display and we were having some problems feeding them and maintaining the tank because of their aggressive nature.

Nurse sharks, banded cat sharks, wobagongs and bamboo sharks would all make good tenants to your tank, and because of the size you could have a few of these species. As for transport I would recommend contacting a marine biologist or a certain writer for Tropical Fish Hobbyist, though I cant think of his name. I think it's Matthew Weignright, he wrote an article on shark capture and transport. You could go over to tropicalresources.net and ask them, that is TFH's official forum.
Want a great read check out my debut novel Neptune's Garden: www.neptunesgardenbook.com
macman7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 11:35 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via AIM to DragonForce
^lol now why in the world would you invest so much to keep a few cat and bamboo sharks.

37 gal all glass
50lb LR
3' fine sand bed 1x Orange Stripe Prawn shrimp goby, 1x sixline wrassemated pair of true percula clowns, 1x CBS shrimp, 2x peppermint shrimp, 1x pistol shrimp, 1x tiger tale cuke, ~20+ snails, ~10+ hermits, 1xserpent star.
green Bubble coral, hammer coral (8 heads!) ,various Zoos,green finger leather, green star polpys ,shrooms
175w 10k MH
28w actinic 03
2x maxi jett 1200
Prizm skimmer (modded)
Hagen powerfilter(for running carbon 24/7)
nano arctica chiller
DragonForce is offline   Reply With Quote

shark, transport

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com