**HELP** Starburst Polyp Scarlet Reef Hermit ?????!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brenden

Aquarium Advice Addict
My husband and I put a starburst polyp in the main today and we see Scarlet Reef Hermit's picking at it. Question are the going to harm our new addition?

Thank you worried wife :(

Probably just checking it out for algae or for kicks. Hermits are not bad unless you count killing snails and knocking over frags :)

i heard some scarlets are proned to eating some corals and anemones. I have a common hermit took out a anemone. So if its picking at it i think theres a good chance he mite eat it.

When you add something new to the tank, your crabs and such will go check it out. They are looking food but are considered reef safe.

http://www.etropicals.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?siteid=43&pCatId=1264

It freaks you out when you see something crawing over your new coral. Hermits and snails are widely used since they don't hurt anything. I have had all kinds of hermits and all they ever do is knock over stuff.

I had a similar experience with peppermint shrimp. Put in a new coral and the peps were all over it. I was worried but they were just checking it out. No harm done. I'd keep an eye on them anyway though, just because I'm paranoid when it comes to expensive corals. :|

Yep. My hermits and shrimp check out ANYTHING new. Sometimes almost before I can get my hand out of the water.

No worries mon! OK then, wo - mon! (Oh, how I enjoyed Jamaica this past summer :wink: )

Back
Top Bottom