Help This Mantis Shrimp Noobie!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishFrik

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I went to the LFS today. The owner is my dad's friend. While i was looking at his fish tanks, i saw a green mantis, which was a hihitcher on his LR order. He gave the shrimp to me for free! 8O So... I need help... I don't know 1 bit about mantis care other than it's SW and it's prety hardy XD

I put him in my 10G "Prison Tank", where i keep badly behaved hermits :twisted:. I moved all the hermits to a small container, don't worry hehe. Anyway, right now,the tank has:

1 Maxijet 600 - 160GPH flow
150W Heater
2.5 inches of sand
A few pieces/rubbles of LR that i took from my main tank

I tested the water and the parameters were off the chart.... I don't know how the hermits were living in there

PH - 8
NH3 - 1.0
NO2 - 1.3
NO3 - 100+
SG - 1.024

The shrimp doesn't show any sign of distress, which is kind of odd... He's exploring the tank and already starting on his burrow.

So! Can anyone give me some information about how to take care of this little devil?

Thanks In Advance

Do a big water change to lower all your levels.I have had a 6 inch peacock for about a year.He is very easy to care for.I do a 25% water change every three weeks.Change your filter media whenever its dirty.Feed him hermits and snails to keep him active.Or he might loose his clubs.Pretty easy.Probably the easiest tank I have.Hopes this helps.

Should be treated as with any other invert, IMO. Definately work on your water quality. The hermits might have adjusted but a newly added invert might have a tougher time.

Should be treated as with any other invert, IMO.

I wish I could. The LFS just didn't want to hold it.

Thanks for the info big baga. Do I have to get a filter? It is an invert and im not planning to add any fish to the tank. Do you have to feed him hermites and snails everyday? Or are they just occasional treats to keep him active? Can I feed him other things like pieces of SW shrimps, frozen mysis/brine shrimps, etc?

I would put on a aquaclear 70 for sure.As for feeding like you said just use crabs and snails occasionally to keep his strength up.I feed him krill most of the time.You can even stuff food in a sea shell and let him bust the shell to get his food.You can even feed him a few feeder fish(fresh water) once and a while.I have never had him loose any limbs while molting or anything.

Thanks of the suggestions! I love that "put food in the shells" idea ;) Do you think it is a must to have a filter? Can't I just rely on LR and LS? There's only 1 1in shrimp in there so the bioload shouldn't be too bad.

I say i you are prepared to do PWC every week (25%) then no filter but if you wanna leave it for a 3 week interval then def filter.

I'll keep an eyes on the parameters.

I fed him some garlic soaked mysis today. He ate them happily then went back to his burrow. I doubt that he's gonna die anytime soon ;)

Can I put like 20 feeder shrimps in there with him? Will he kill them all at once for the heck of it or will he eats them 1 by 1 whenever he's hungry? Also, can I keep any kind of corals or macros with this shrimp? I was thinking of putting some kind of caulperia in once i get a light fixture over this tank.

Do you have to feed him hermites and snails everyday?

I'm not too sure, but can you feed him fresh clams from the grocery store, it might be a lot more cheaper.....?

I'm not too sure, but can you feed him fresh clams from the grocery store, it might be a lot more cheaper.....?

Im not too sure since im a noob at this XD But the reason we feed mantis hermites and snails is to give the little devil something to punch on (exercise lol) so he wouldn't lose his smashers when he molts.

My LFS just got a punch of fresh/live Tangs' Heaven Macros. Can I keep some in my mantis tank for my tang?

Clams/oysters, in the shells, I meant. That way, you could just dump a bunch in the tank and let him feed when he likes.

That way, you could just dump a bunch in the tank and let him feed when he likes.

Sounds like a good idea but do you know how hardy are those clams/oysters from the store? Are they cold water? Do they need any special care?

Are they cold water? Do they need any special care?

Hmmm, very good questions there. I have seen my LFS feed all her tanks with them. I was just suggesting a less expensive alternitive. Hopefully others will chime in. Now I'm curious....

I have used clams before and sometimes they live.I have had them live up to 2 months.Just get the little ones mine loves them.I also have some xenia and christmas tree worms in with mine.Corals are fine.The ghost shrimp will last about 10 minutes if you put them all in.

The ghost shrimp will last about 10 minutes if you put them all in.

Why? The shrimp will kill them all right away?

I have had them live up to 2 months.Just get the little ones mine loves them

Do you feed the clams to keep it alive? Do they need light like other clams (deresa, max, squamos)?

Back
Top Bottom