Help to catch crabs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brad3314

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've had these crabs in my tank for quite some time.
A while back I caught one thinking I only had 3 left but recently i've spottoed a few baby ones so there multiplying.

I lost 2 fish in the same night and i think these crabs are to blame so i decided they all need to come out i caught another one last night but there are still more in there are there any DIY traps that i can make to get them out ?

would the coke bottle trap work ?

img_776474_0_7a24484e873cd7253bc0e7075b00a591.jpg

Lean a tall glass against the rock you see the crabs crawling on at night. Put a piece of meaty food in it over night (might take a couple of nights). He will crawl down in there to get at the food, but c\won't be able to crawl back out b/c the sides are too slippery for him.

Finatic said:
Lean a tall glass against the rock you see the crabs crawling on at night. Put a piece of meaty food in it over night (might take a couple of nights). He will crawl down in there to get at the food, but c\won't be able to crawl back out b/c the sides are too slippery for him.
Sounds like a plan to me.

I would doubt these are killing the fish unless the fish are really small and weak. I agree they should be removed though if you have corals. They can get big.

If the glass trick won't work, you can try to FW dip the rock if you know the rock it is in.

Ok first off the above advice is exactly what I would do. Try the glass first, then move to the FW dip. But looking at the title of that post had me falling out of my chair I was laughing so hard!!! LOL

Finatic said:

This has worked for many people. It`s a good plan. Hope you are able to catch them.

haha yeah the title is amusing but still better than saying help i've got crabs lol :lol:

ok will give the glass thing a go.
i wasn't absolutely sure they were killers but i still don't want them in there because they are multiplying I did think of FW dipping the rocks but that was going to be the last resort.

thanks guys

Back
Top Bottom