Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-16-2012, 12:17 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

I pulled all my rock out then used a big net and a piece of acrylic to trap him similar to what don chuwish did.

Old 03-16-2012, 03:46 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I too have had to remove an aggressive damsel just this week. It meant removing all the rock to get it. It was ok. I was careful and took pictures before to get it right. Just have plenty of buckets and ensure all water is correct temp and params are same as tank. My corals didn't even notice as I did it after lights out and everything looked back to normal within an hour. Just dont stir up that sand bed! Gl.

Old 03-16-2012, 04:22 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

Hello all, I have put the bait and we will see, little devil see me coming and wham under the rocks, can't let a little fish with little brain get the best of me....lol ..... Keep you posted tonight ....
Old 03-16-2012, 06:27 PM   #14

I tried for TWO months to use every kind of trap you can imagine. Little guy was too smart though. I eventually had to do a 50% water change and take out most of my ledge rock and use egg crate to use as a divider in the middle of the tank. Once I got him in half the tank it was fairly easy to snag him with a big net. Wished I would have just done it this way SOONER!
Old 03-16-2012, 07:51 PM   #15
HN1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Please review the community rules. They include ethical fishkeeping.
Old 03-16-2012, 07:58 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

I don't intend to kill my neon damsel, or harm him in any way, i want to find him a home or I wish to keep him in a different tank. just need to get him out...he is being so aggressive....sorry if i personally offended anyone, and I cannot control what others are posting...
Old 03-17-2012, 12:01 AM   #17

Believe it or not!!!!!!!!!!
We had a hawkfish in our reef that we tried for 8 months to get rid of. He was extreeeeeeeamly smart. Nets,trap, even a fishhook with his favorite food didn't do the trick. I got online and read about catching them in the dark when they are in a "sleep" state. ( turn off all the lights in the room including the tank so it's pitch black. Let it stand for a few hours to make sure everything is settled down and asleep. use a red flashlight to locate the fish. Reach in with a hand and net and basically push him into the net.) WORKED like a charm! 1st attempt. After about 8 months of trying, I was stunned as to how easy it was.

GOOD LUCK!!!!
Old 03-17-2012, 12:06 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

I think that HN1 meant that buying a damsel is unethical fishkeeping.

Actually I have a blue damsel in my 29 Gallon tank with a pair of clowns and all is well with them.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:56 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Activist

Hello all,
Sorry for the late update, been busy at work, so here it is. I tired the bottle in the tank, boy this little guy knows, I saw him hitting the bottle with his tail, so after the third day the bottle was a failure, than I went with the flashlight, made the room dark, ( all lights off no big deal) got my flashlight (LED) put my net in and bam!!! Light on and I blinded him and caught him!!!! Wow I was amazed how easy that was.. Funny thing though, I can't get rid of him, he is mine, I pick him, and gonna keep him, so all this was a educational experience. Btw I did upgrade to a 90 gallon and my Neon Damsel is now in a bigger space, I have not seen any territorial issues. Yet!
Again thanks you all for the inputs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com