help!: Trying to get started on a clownfish tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mr.sneakysnacky

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I am trying to get started on a clown fish tank. In particular I am looking to raise true percula/ ocellaris clown fish. I was wondering if you guys could tell me what they differences were between these two because I have both of them. So I really want to set up a clown fish tank along with anemones with live rocks. Thats all I am looking for. I took a lot of time and research into this, but I want to make sure that my clown fishes are happy as well! before I doing anything rash...

Questions that need to be answered:

1. Should I buy a biocube compared to setting up my own tank? I was thinking of either getting a 29G biocube or 24G biocube if i were to get a biocube.

2. If I was to get a biocube, should i get oceanic or nano? because I hear a lot of problems with the oceanic but some good comments.

3. If I was going to set up my own tank, what do I need to make my clownfish happy? along with sea anemones? Thats all im really looking for in my tank. Clownfish, live rocks, sea anemones

4. Ocellaris vs Percula? I have both....

Trust me I did A LOT of research, but I am having a hard time deciding, so I want your guys AND girls! opinion on this! I am really excited to get a SW tank going, as a fellow lover of fishes please help me out! I really do appreciate the time and effort you guys put in to helping me!

THANK YOU!:ROFLMAO::lol:

:thanks:

When I researched the Clowns for our sw tank I found lots of info on the smallest tank for Clowns is a 29 gal for a pair so I would go with the 29 Gal and not the 24 Gal IMO and also from my research I found the nanos were cheaper in the long run and you know that you have to make sure the the anemones host the clowns that you decide on not every anemone hosts every clown type

gotchya. Would you recommend a biocube? and I hear that the nanos are better than oceanic? what are your thoughts on that?

And yes I heard about the whole sea anemones and clownfish ordeal. But I hear there is a way to get the fishes to host.

No anemone for a bio cube unless you upgrade the lighting to LEDs or metal halides. I had a 14g bio cube with 2 ocellaris clowns, 1 snowflake and 1 b&w. They have been upgraded to a 40g tank now. IMO, percula clowns get big and ugly. They look disgusting. Go with ocellaris clowns.

are you talking about raising fry or just keeping a pair of clowns?

What are Fry? I am just looking to take care of a pair of clown fishes. Along with sea anemones.

Slitherbomb: What does IMO mean? hahaha...and thanks! I will start taking care of the ocellaris.

but again, should I go with a biocube? or should I make my own tank? and how do i take care of clownfish who has ich? cause I think just one of my clownfishes do but I only see one white dot on his tail. and it is contagious to other clownfishes?

fry are baby fish. imo means in my opinion :)

I have a biocube and really like it. Very simple right out of the box and the 29g is large enough for a pair of clowns and other fish as well as coral if you want them

29g cube would be perfect for size but anemones should be kept in a mature tank and will require better light than the cube has. Even after that is taken care of the clowns still might not host the anemone...

mkk! so it sounds like you guys telling me to get a cube? but what kind of cube should I get? Nano or oceanic?

I do have a 29G tank right now so should I set that up as a SW tank or should I just go with the biocube?

ohh and what do I do if my clownfish has ICH RIGHT NOW!! T^T

I would actually recommend just using the 29g you have right now and get a great t5ho light fixture for the anemone. You would have to spend a lot of money to upgrade the biocubes lighting to support anemones.

Also, for ich, I've literally just fed my fish a lot of new life spectrum Thera+ a pellets. My black and white clown had it for a little while but I fed him a lot and he fought it off on his own. I haven't seen a sign of ich since then.

Slitherbomb: thanks for the reply! Right now I am using new life spectrum to feed my fishes but I was wondering if I should mix fresh crushed garlic with this?

what is this new life spectrum thera that you are talking about? and what kinda pellets do you feed them?

Also I mean are biocubes worth it? cause I have a 29G tank but I want have all the NECESSITIES to properly care for the clownfish. Cause I mean I know that the biocubes have the filtration system thats good for SW tanks?

mr.sneakysnacky said:
Slitherbomb: thanks for the reply! Right now I am using new life spectrum to feed my fishes but I was wondering if I should mix fresh crushed garlic with this?

what is this new life spectrum thera that you are talking about? and what kinda pellets do you feed them?

Also I mean are biocubes worth it? cause I have a 29G tank but I want have all the NECESSITIES to properly care for the clownfish. Cause I mean I know that the biocubes have the filtration system thats good for SW tanks?

You can definitely mix in fresh garlic. It'll help. Once the clown becomes lethargic, then and only then do you go into medications.

I honestly don't like the dimensions of the biocube and would rather have the 29 as a tank, even if it only had a hob filter. Most of the filtering is coming from the live rock anyways. It also gives you more options for lights, which would have to be really good ones if you want an anemone.

Slitherbomb: ok so I am decideding to go with the 29G tank! now I was wondering if you could help me decide what I need for this tank?

So far I am going to get:

Heater
Hood/ t5ho light fixture ( does this take up a lot of your elect bill?)
Filter (what kind?)

Should I get:

airhead?
protein skimmer?

What other things would I need?

mr.sneakysnacky said:
Slitherbomb: ok so I am decideding to go with the 29G tank! now I was wondering if you could help me decide what I need for this tank?

So far I am going to get:

Heater
Hood/ t5ho light fixture ( does this take up a lot of your elect bill?)
Filter (what kind?)

Should I get:

airhead?
protein skimmer?

What other things would I need?

Well you need the essentials(salt, refractometer, test kit) then you will need powerheads, the filter( I recommend either marineland or aquaclear) rated for about 2x your tank, then maybe a heater, depending on the temp in your house(I don't use heaters, but my temp stays constant) and a good t5ho fixture. I recommend at least 4bulbs with individual reflectors. I really like the current nova extreme pro fixtures.

Also, the food I give my clowns has always been New Life Spectrum Thera+ a 1mm pellets. They contain garlic.

Slitherbomb I honestly cant thank you enough! haha

How long did it take you to get rid of your ich? cause I mean isnt the tank contaminated?

Back
Top Bottom