Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-10-2013, 11:15 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

HELP! Trying to trap a mantis stowaway

I have a 75 gallon saltwater aquarium. I have had it for about 5 months now. Everything is going great. I have some grape corals, leather, bubble coral, a clown fish, two anthias, a wrasse,zebra eel, three shrimp and a whole cleaning crew. A couple of weeks ago I saw something try to eat the shrimp I was feeding my eel and finally identified it as a mantis shrimp. He is living in one of my live rock that is on the top part of my tank. I purchased a trap for it and have no success in trying to trap it. Any ideas on how I could trap this thing. I am trying to do this with out removing the rock because the coral that is attached to the rock is thriving and I really don't want to disturb it. Any help or suggestions, please!

Old 01-10-2013, 11:21 PM   #2
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Take a tall glass and prop it up against a rock. Toss in some food. It'll end up going after the food at some point and be unable to escape due to the glass sides being slopped.

Sniperhank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:31 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you know which rock you can pull it out and do a freshwater dip. Or put it in a bucket and break the rock apart, I caught one that way. Also don't know which trap you tried but this one looks decent:

http://www.aquariumguys.com/xtermina...rimp-trap.html
Old 01-10-2013, 11:36 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Keith, that's the trap I have. It hasn't been working for me. I really don't want to lose the coral I have on the rock.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:40 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkatdave View Post
Keith, that's the trap I have. It hasn't been working for me. I really don't want to lose the coral I have on the rock.
Too bad I thought that trap looked good. If you have a QT you can put the rock in there on top of egg crate or such and put food below and try to get it to go under and then remove the rock. Like the above mentioned glass but covers a wider area.
Old 01-12-2013, 12:24 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Try a coke bottle. Did you glue your corals to the rock? Anyway to pop them off? What corals are attached to the rock? You might be able to take the rock out and squirt fresh water in it till the shrimp comes out.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com