Help! Upgrading tank to Red Sea Reefer XXL

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cancun

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone! My husband finally agreed to let me upgrade my tank to a brand new Red Sea Reefer XXL 750. One one hand I am excited....on the other hand freaking out! Please ease my fears! The new tank will be in the same room but in a different area. Here goes:

1. I don't want to have a cycle, will be using 100lbs of my current live rock, new sand, and buying another 100lbs of new cured live rock.

2. I have spent years getting my fish and corals that I wanted. Some were hard to find. Tank is how I like it. Everything is thriving. But I need more room.

3. My biggest worry is loosing my fish or nems I have had for years. I worry about this the most.

Please help set my mind at ease....any tips or stories of your tank upgrades will be appreciated! My current tank is a 4 ft 80 gallon. Thanks in advance! Pic of current tank taken today.....IMG_20181130_132738.jpegIMG_20181130_132747.jpegIMG_20181130_132758.jpeg

A straight swap won’t be hard at all. The additional rock won’t even have to be cured. Even base or macro rock will work. The current established rock will provide enough of a beneficial bacteria base since I’m sure you won’t be dumping an additional handful of fish in after the move.

The only bit I’d recommend is to use all new sand. Established systems gather up to a of gunk in the sandbed, especially around the rocks. This getting stirred up can cause big issues as parameters rise quickly. This can then be carried over into the new systems unnecessarily and can be avoided with all new sand.

A straight swap won’t be hard at all. The additional rock won’t even have to be cured. Even base or macro rock will work. The current established rock will provide enough of a beneficial bacteria base since I’m sure you won’t be dumping an additional handful of fish in after the move.

The only bit I’d recommend is to use all new sand. Established systems gather up to a of gunk in the sandbed, especially around the rocks. This getting stirred up can cause big issues as parameters rise quickly. This can then be carried over into the new systems unnecessarily and can be avoided with all new sand.
Thanks!! For sure on that new sand! [emoji16]

Back
Top Bottom