Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-01-2004, 08:35 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

help w/percula clown

Sup Aqua Advice peeps,

I just started my saltwater tank and all I have are two fire shrimp, two scooter blennies, two shroomz, live rock and one percula clown. I just bought my clown a couple days ago and I was wondering if it needs a home to be in (ex. annenome). My clown stays in the corner a lot and doesn't really move much What can I put in my tank that the clown likes and can live in 75 degree temp. Let me know what you think. THX

Old 08-01-2004, 08:53 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

They will be much happier with an anemone . I have a clown pair and they just swim in the corner as well. I'm going to wait one more month to get better lighting and to make sure my levels are perfect and then I'm going to get one.

Anemones require a lot of light and some say 1 year of pre-existing stable tank conditions. Some people say that the bubble-tip anemone doesn't, but others say that it does.

My tank hasn't been running for a full year yet, but I think I'm good to go, and it'll be much better for the clowns. I would have waited for the clowns but the deal was too good to pass up on.

Old 08-01-2004, 09:17 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

I've always understood that clowns will do just fine without a anenome. I have a pair of false perculas(have had them about 8 months now) and though they have claimed the right back corner of the tank as their "space" they swim freely about the tank all day. I know of a few instances where people have gone out and purchased anenome's, and the clowns don't even bother with 'em.
Old 08-02-2004, 03:51 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

clown food

Wut food do percula clowns like to eat and how many timez do i need to feed it. Simple question huh.
Old 08-02-2004, 04:46 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

A lot of people here recommend to make a custom blender mush, and I'm sure someone here can advice you how to make one, or you can search for it.

I feed mine either Cyclopeeze or flake food every other day and they seem just fine. They go after the cyclopeeze like it's liquid crack.
Quote:
I know of a few instances where people have gone out and purchased anenome's, and the clowns don't even bother with 'em.
This can be true and often the clowns have to be matched to the right anemone.
Old 08-02-2004, 02:01 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you just started... your tank is way to young for anything but fish.

Exactly how old?

what are the water params?

How big is the tank?

How much live rock?

Type of lighting?

How many watts?
Old 08-02-2004, 07:10 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

I agree with William...we need more infor on your system. Also, do you have a perc. clown or an ocelaris? They are often confussed. I would be willing to bet that what ever type you have, it is tank raised. Therefore, it has never seen an anenome before and will probobly not be interested in it. It does not need one to be happy. It is correct that you should wait about a year before trying to keep any anenome. They require a bit of research to keep happy and healthy. good luck...Lando

Tags
clown, percula

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com