Help What size is my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kubuspuchat3k

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok so my friend came over and i started telling him about my aquarium,
Then i told him its 170 gallons, but he though thats its in fact not so i need help with the size of my tank, I purchesed it form craigslist. the person selling it said it was 170 gallons.

Its a acrylic bow front
15" x 18" x 15"
24"tall x 60" long

Anybody know how many gallons this is ?

Thanks

Why are there two sets of dimensions? Which is it? It should be

Length x Depth x Height

Anyways, assuming your dimensions are 60"x18"x24", then your tank is 112 gallons.

If it's 60"x15"x24" then it's 93 gallons.

So yeah, not quite 170 gallons. Sorry bud.

That is not 170 gallons.... And I'm confused as to what all those dimensions mean.... uhh is it 18" wide in the middle?...I don't feel like doing the calculus involved in finding the are under the curve so I'll just say 16.5" wide lol.

103 gallons is the approximate. Seems about right. A 170 gallon tank is generally going to be a 7-8 footer.

Oh i get it now. It's 60" long, and 24" tall, but the sides are 15" deep and the middle is 18" deep, since it's a bowfront of course. But yeah, it's certainly not 170 gallons. Anywhere from 90-110 gallons. Not sure since i don't know how to calculate the curve in to the equation.

o ok, now at least i know how much chemicals to ad heheh,
I think i still got a good deal on it, Its a mint tank with a mint acrylic stand, for 400 bucks, thanks guys

Chemicals? What chemicals are you adding to your tank? An aquarium running with proper filtration methods and adequate water changes should not need dosing from ANY chemicals. Not unless you have a tank packed with corals that need calcium supplementation to grow, or if you are just dosing for different reasons. You also shouldn't be dosing for anything that you can not test for. Can you elaborate on these chemicals you mention?

Sorry guys i mistakenly posted in the wrong section, I have a freshwater aquarium, when i used the term chemicals i was referring to stress coat, tap water conditioner and meds in case my fish get sick.

Oh, ok carry on then. :) Good luck, and sorry it was not 170 gallons like it was sold to you. Some people can be real d-bags.

The tank is about 103 gal. To figure this out you take the length X the width X the height in inches, and divide by 231 with a bow front, you have a 15 in. min. and a 18 in. max. take an avg. of the 2, =16.5 so you take 60X24X16.5=23760, then divide that by 231, that gives you 102.something. NOW tanks are measured from the outside, so you need to subtract the thickness of the material, which is somewhere around 3-5 percent. The tank is around 100 gal. Still a pretty good deal.

Back
Top Bottom