HELP - Windex in my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ok cool, but the food sinks right to the bottom so fast! how much are these units? i kinda dropped the remainder of my spending money on what i got. if the clowns die(which would really suck) should i just leave one to rot in there for a real cycle, and i just got done with a 25% empty refill, i read never do more then 20% at a time in 1 day.

Keep an eye on your ammonia and nitrite level and do you partial water changes accordingly depending on this. If your ammonia and nitrite is close to 0, then I don't see a reason for you having to do partial water changes on consecutive days. The one thing you have going for you is that clowns are damsels which are pretty hardy. People have used damsels to cycle tanks in the past, it is cruel but works. If I were you and the clowns ended up dying, I would take them both out and throw in a piece of shrimp from the grocery store. Although, what you said above would work. Hopefully the will both live and you don't have to decide.

The python Pro Clean needs to be sullf submerged as do most gravel cleaners. They also make the Python No Spill which connect to a faucet using a garden hose adapter. That's what I use for removing water for a PWC.

The python Pro Clean needs to be sullf submerged as do most gravel cleaners. They also make the Python No Spill which connect to a faucet using a garden hose adapter. That's what I use for removing water for a PWC.

Do you get some tap water in your tank with this one? I didn't read it, but I am assuming you turn the faucet on and then turn it off creating a back siphon? Both of the links would work fine, I guess it all comes down to:
how much money you want to spend
how far away a faucet is from your tank
do you mind submerging the device (doesn't it have to be submerged anyways in order to vacuum the bottom?)

There is a part the pulls down to remove water and push in to send water back to the tank.

Have I ever made a mistake and started sending tap water to the tank? YES, but it's a 25' long hose so I was able to stop and reverse the flow before anything reaches the tap.

Also, you are correct in that once the siphon starts you can shut off the tap and just let it flow (though not quite as fast).

how do you not have to vacuum with a shallow sand bed?

Usually you cycle with some sort of a fish or animal, usually innexpensive, to prepare the tank for hosting a community. If the water was in good shape, then I guess it is OK, just add fish in gradually so your tank and it's inhabitants are not overwhelmed. :)
Not to argue but cycling with fish is old! It is better to either add pure ammonia directly or a piece of cocktail shrimp at about 1 per 20-30 gals. and yes anything you do in a saltwater tank is better done slowly.:rolleyes:

Yes! thincat to the rescue! If i were you snow, since it's pretty evident you never cycled your tank, i would just bring back those clowns, cycle the tank, and then you will be able to have the fish you like without having them die on you. I'd say if you didn't it would be pretty unfair to the fish unless you are keeping a close eye on the tank parameters and doing some exceptionally frequent water changes to keep them alive.

Going this route would save you money because you wouldn't have to waste so much water on the frequent water changes, and you wouldn't have to buy new fish if the ones you have, die.

Sorry Ix, I didnt mean to offend you. Just saying if your guy was on the up and up, they wouldnt have sold you fish in the first place if you didnt have the tank ready.

Back
Top Bottom