Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 03-23-2003, 03:42 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Help with algae control

I have a roughly 30 gal tank. I have been having some problems with algae growing in my tank. The algae grows on my front glass constantly and i find myself cleaning it off every 2-3 days. I also noticed hair algae growing on my live rock as well as on my sand bed. Is there a way i can control this??? Do i need to add anything special to my water. I have been using some additives such as trace elements, coral vita and arga milk. Do i need to add anything else or should i stop adding somethings i have been using already??? I know i should get some snails but i am afraid my puffer will eat them. I have an algae blenny already and i think he is helping a little. I was also thinking of getting a scooter blenny. What do you guys think???

Mr.5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2003, 03:57 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via Yahoo to kribbz
Scarlet Reef Crabs, cucumbers, certain types of starfish, shrimp or urchins. those are just a few things.

"The brighter you are, the more you have to learn."
-Don Herold
kribbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2003, 04:12 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to Anemoneman Send a message via Yahoo to Anemoneman
With a puffer you can try large turbo snails, urchins, and conchs. The problem is puffers are messy eaters leaving a lot of uneaten food fueling algae growth. what is roughly 30 gallons, 29? Do you have a decent skimmer? A sand bed? I have found a skimmer to help alot! I also have a puffer in a 29 with a skimmer and populated DSB. The hair algae has subsided but I still have a lush growth of cyanobacteria. Water changes (large) may help to reduce the nutrient level. How often do you feed? Why are you adding so many things to a puffer tank? I would stop adding trace elements (most likely overdosing and aggravating algae) and replensih them with water changes only. Stop using the coral vital (more trace elements). You don't need the aragamilk unless you are tyring to grow stonies, halimeda, or coraline algae which I doubt since I don;t think you have a reef tank but a species (puffer) tank.
I have had luck with very large turbo snails too.
Anemoneman is offline   Reply With Quote

algae, control

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com