Help With an Aggressive Cardinal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sammy S

Aquarium Advice Activist
I had gotten a pair of banggai cardinals (not mated, I think they are opposite gender?? I asked my FS for that and he grabbed them...I'm not good at sexing cardinals) and everything seemed fine for the first week I got them (March 11th). Every time I turn around now, the male hunts the female down and literally attacks her. I had to move him two days ago into my QT tank, but all his color is drained and he's stressed...which makes me feel bad. The fish store I bought him from offered to exchange him for another, but it's an hour drive and I wouldn't be able o go until next week... :hide:

Is it possible if I reintroduce him he could...become unaggressive? Or should he stay in QT? It's unfortunately a bare bottom tank in case I have to deal with unwanted parasitic pests.

The main tank is a 34 gallon tank with a pair of ocellaris clownfish in there and some snails.

Thank you for all your help!!!!

Thank, I woke up this morning and his color is back, I had just done a water change so he was probably freaking out with that.

The female is out and about since he left and besides a torn caudal fin, is doing much better since he was removed- she swims with the clownfish and they get along pretty well.

My fish store insisted they need a pair to get along- she will be okay with just the clowns?

Back
Top Bottom